Topic Options
#85903 - 04/25/05 11:28 AM Bloody wing on turkey poult
Chilly Chick Offline
Feather

Loc: Canada
One of my 2wk old turkeys has injured a wing. I can see blood on the feathers.....what should I do? I haven't had a really good look at it as my crying human baby called. But he seems alert, wasn't running around but snuggled with another.

I am sure he got this from flying into the wire of the pen we are using for a brooder....is this because he can't see it? (We just put a top on last night) Should I wind some flagging tape or something through the wire? Is the space too small for them? (3'x3'x3') We will hope to have the coop built in 2wks, but it's still to cold for them to be anywhere besides the shop right now.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Chilly

#85904 - 04/25/05 01:39 PM Re: Bloody wing on turkey poult
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Get the blood off as soon as you can. Just hold it carefully and with a tissue or cotton, warm water, just wash the blood off. Blot dry, and then you can see if it is a real wound needing an antibiotic ointment application, or is just nothing that will bother. Chicken will damage any chick with a wound, and need to be separated,--I have no experience with turkey poults. I think they do not do well if separated from their pals. Good luck, CJR

#85905 - 04/25/05 02:20 PM Re: Bloody wing on turkey poult
Chilly Chick Offline
Feather

I have looked at the wing and can see one of the larger feathers near the tip (3 or 4 in)is broken. It's clotted though...so do I just clean it and leave it?

Thanks for the reply CJR. smile
Chilly

#85906 - 04/25/05 07:42 PM Re: Bloody wing on turkey poult
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Yup
CJR

#85907 - 04/25/05 08:29 PM Re: Bloody wing on turkey poult
Greta S. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: California
If you can find the actual wound, you might want to make sure there's nothing in it, as well as dab it with a little neosporin.
Other than that, it should be fine smile

Have you hugged your chickens today?
laugh Greta

#85908 - 04/25/05 09:13 PM Re: Bloody wing on turkey poult
Chilly Chick Offline
Feather

Ok, thanks everyone. I've cleaned him up some & put him in with my chicks cause he was getting picked on. Thanks for the advice I was worried when I first saw the blood laugh

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2