Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85948 - 04/18/05 03:57 PM baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Clark Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
My 1day old chick can not stand on its feet. It wobbles to move around.

What should I do? Wait and see? or "put it down"

#85949 - 04/19/05 07:13 AM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Anonymous
Unregistered

Roody-
If it is not too late, a little more information would be helpful. Are the chicks feet 'deformed' in appearance? Or are the legs heading in opposite directions?

TC
cool

#85950 - 04/19/05 11:35 AM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Clark Offline
Chicken

Hi Collective,

No it's not too late, still giving it some time.

The feet look normal. I set him(?) on a wire while holding and he grasped it with his feet.
He waddles/scooches to get around. he drinks water when I bring some to him. and he pecks at the chick starter food.

I don't know why he would be this way, he wasn't on any smooth surface since hatching. He just doesn't stand/push himself up.

The other seem to know that he isn't normal and walk on him and peck. So I've separated him. (Although everyone walks on each other.)

The longer I wait, the harder it's gonna be to euthanize.
Thanks for any thoughts.

Roody

#85951 - 04/19/05 04:47 PM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Have you added any vitamin supplements to its water? You might try that.

Bill L

#85952 - 04/19/05 10:07 PM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bill's suggestion of adding vitamins is what I would do, especially A & D.

tc

#85953 - 04/20/05 10:17 PM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Clark Offline
Chicken

ok, I'll try that. Is there any particular type? I have only pills for humans. Is there a chicken type?

Hubby thinks it might be a nerve damage.
It's like he is paralized and tips over because his legs don't push him/set evenly.
. He's getting stronger. He does stand up briefly, and waddles quickly to get around.
He pushes with his tiny wings.
He is so cute.

thanks again for the help.

#85954 - 04/20/05 10:47 PM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
Does your chick have spraddle or splay legs? If so, you can make hobbles that can help.

#85955 - 04/21/05 03:34 AM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
You can get poultry vitamins at most feed stores as well as the Tractor Supply Co. I don't like using human OTC's unless at the advise of a Vet.

Vitamins I use are Durvet from TSC and come 8 ounces to a pack. The 8 oz. pack make 110 gallons. The mix should be .0727 ounces per gal. About 1/4 teaspoon.

Bill L

#85956 - 04/21/05 05:10 PM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Clark Offline
Chicken

Hmm, I'll look into "spraddle or splay legs" i never heard of that, but those words describe like he would.

thanks for all the advice.

Hobbles, that's funny; I use hobbles on my horses.

RTR

#85957 - 04/23/05 07:53 PM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Emmy Offline
Bantam

Loc: New Jersey
Wouldn't give up yet- Had a very small day old runt who could not get around- just kind of kept tipping over, wouldn't eat or drink by herself (had to hand feed/ water her with a dropper several times a day) Used vitamins/electrolytes like Bill has described and I guess she just needed a few days to get stronger. She was the runt for a good while but eventually she could hold her own and today she is a big ole' puffy cochin, great layer and great disposition - probably from being held so much when she was small. Good luck and keep us posted!

#85958 - 04/24/05 10:39 AM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Clark Offline
Chicken

Nope, haven't given up yet. I do hand feed/water her, she still doesn't like that. So Ihave food sprinkled all over and water is in a low plastic lid. I still need to get the vit. She did eat a big ole moskito(sp?) I put in front of her.

Yeah, she tips over when sitting/sleeping; she uses her wings like they were "arms", it's weird. She's real tiny still. I wish I knew what sex she/he is at this age.

Keep ya posted.
-Monica

#85959 - 04/27/05 07:56 PM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Emmy Offline
Bantam

Loc: New Jersey
Any update on the little guy/girl Roody?

#85960 - 04/27/05 08:52 PM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Clark Offline
Chicken

OK, here's an update.
First let's just call her a she and Waddles for a nickname.

She eats a lot and I saw her drink from the lid for the first time. I was so excited.
She walks(waddles) on her knees(?) or elbows(?) where the bend in the leg is.
She loves mosquitos/daddylonglegs.

Today, I sent them all off to another home.
2 went to a friend. The other 5 including Waddles to my neighbor. She wants a flock of her own.
I had her take Waddles so she wouldn't be alone. I think that would make her worse being alone.
She's in good hands. This neighbor turned one of her bedrooms into a babycoop.
I'll know how she's doing on a regular basis and keep ya all posted.

-Monica

#85961 - 05/02/05 11:59 AM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Clark Offline
Chicken

Well,

Little Waddles past away last night. We gave it a good try.
Thanks everyone for all your advice and help.

-Monica

#85962 - 05/06/05 09:11 PM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know this sounds harsh, but over the years I have learned that weak chicks should be put down right away. A lot just "drag out" their lives until they die. If they do live, most have a hard life. If they breed, then their chicks generally have similar problems and the bad genes continue to propogate.

We live in an era where we try to perform heroics on just about everything to keep it alive just a little while longer. Mother nature has been taking care of genetics for millions of years and we should learn from it.

It is commendable that people try to help things live, but eventually, we learn that living is sometimes not living, but surviving in an unhealthy state. If we can accept the responsibility to be good caretakers of our genetic pool, then we are assuring future generations of poultry that they will be healthy and strong enough to survive. In the end, we can have 100 healthy birds instead of 5 healthy ones and 95 that die easily.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2