Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#85958 - 04/24/05 10:39 AM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Clark Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Nope, haven't given up yet. I do hand feed/water her, she still doesn't like that. So Ihave food sprinkled all over and water is in a low plastic lid. I still need to get the vit. She did eat a big ole moskito(sp?) I put in front of her.

Yeah, she tips over when sitting/sleeping; she uses her wings like they were "arms", it's weird. She's real tiny still. I wish I knew what sex she/he is at this age.

Keep ya posted.
-Monica

#85959 - 04/27/05 07:56 PM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Emmy Offline
Bantam

Loc: New Jersey
Any update on the little guy/girl Roody?

#85960 - 04/27/05 08:52 PM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Clark Offline
Chicken

OK, here's an update.
First let's just call her a she and Waddles for a nickname.

She eats a lot and I saw her drink from the lid for the first time. I was so excited.
She walks(waddles) on her knees(?) or elbows(?) where the bend in the leg is.
She loves mosquitos/daddylonglegs.

Today, I sent them all off to another home.
2 went to a friend. The other 5 including Waddles to my neighbor. She wants a flock of her own.
I had her take Waddles so she wouldn't be alone. I think that would make her worse being alone.
She's in good hands. This neighbor turned one of her bedrooms into a babycoop.
I'll know how she's doing on a regular basis and keep ya all posted.

-Monica

#85961 - 05/02/05 11:59 AM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Clark Offline
Chicken

Well,

Little Waddles past away last night. We gave it a good try.
Thanks everyone for all your advice and help.

-Monica

#85962 - 05/06/05 09:11 PM Re: baby can't stand on legs-Sad News
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know this sounds harsh, but over the years I have learned that weak chicks should be put down right away. A lot just "drag out" their lives until they die. If they do live, most have a hard life. If they breed, then their chicks generally have similar problems and the bad genes continue to propogate.

We live in an era where we try to perform heroics on just about everything to keep it alive just a little while longer. Mother nature has been taking care of genetics for millions of years and we should learn from it.

It is commendable that people try to help things live, but eventually, we learn that living is sometimes not living, but surviving in an unhealthy state. If we can accept the responsibility to be good caretakers of our genetic pool, then we are assuring future generations of poultry that they will be healthy and strong enough to survive. In the end, we can have 100 healthy birds instead of 5 healthy ones and 95 that die easily.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2