Topic Options
#85999 - 06/26/07 11:00 AM new chick w/ momma- need advice quick UPDATE
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
my OEG bantam just hatched 2 std sized eggs yesterday- I have momma & the 2 chicks separate from flock-- one of the chicks has weak legs and is standing on its hocks (not complete splayed legs but unable to stand and walk)-- I have bandaided its legs (as I have done before & as for splayed legs-) I am worried about it standing to eat and drink water-- it can't follow momma like the other chick-- 2 questions I need answers: (1) should I separate the chick for a day or two until it can get around better-- putting it in a brooder indoors with easier access to water and food and I can watch it? & (2) if I do separate this chick, then will momma accept it back in a couple of days? [I have no experience with this OEG as a momma-- she's a rescue/ stray from an office park where she had took up]. The reason I put this question in emergency room & now is that I do not want to wait much longer & this chick not eat, not drink, then get weak (it is active and alert now) and then be posting these questions. Thank you.

#86000 - 06/26/07 11:45 AM Re: new chick w/ momma- need advice quick UPDATE
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I'm not sure there's a clear cut right and wrong here. I had the same thing happen once and I took the chick inside, taped its legs and gave it 24 hours to get on its feet. It did and I gave it back to the mother hen and all was well. I can think of several ways disaster could strike in either scenario though. If it JUST hatched, I wouldn't put too much worry on the not eating and drinking just yet. BUT, my concern with a mother hen raising it is that she'll be doing her thing and expecting the chicks to instinctively get under her as they need to, to keep warm. Can this chick keep up with that? If you take the chick, you are risking rejection when you give it back. I'd call that one a 50/50 shot.

Sorry, I know that wasn't totally helpful. I think you'll get anecdotal advice and you'll just have to take the plunge, one way or the other. Be prepared to have to mother that chick yourself, in any event.

#86001 - 06/26/07 11:52 AM Re: new chick w/ momma- need advice quick UPDATE
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

The chick is getting under mother hen ok and the pen is small enough that she doesn't have to travel too far and during the day here, it is topping 90 degrees. Thanks Susie. Chris

#86002 - 06/26/07 02:01 PM Re: new chick w/ momma- need advice quick UPDATE
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I would just keep an eye on it as best you can. The way things are in nature, being with the hen and another chick might motivate it to get on its feet. Who knows! I hope it works out for you!

#86003 - 06/27/07 02:19 AM Re: new chick w/ momma- need advice quick UPDATE
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Your chick will have a good chance to get stronger if you can keep it confined with mum. One of the things chicks will do as they snuggle under, is push up into the feathers, so, using their legs. They don't do that under a lamp. Of course there is no guarantee. Or, you could just as easily separate the chick and give it a chance to get stronger, and you could likely still put it back under her as long as you do it at night, and don't leave it too long. In the end though,it is better if the chick bonds with mum. I had a blue orp. with a weak leg last summer, and took it out for a 24 hours. It was a huge heavy chick and it's legs just were not strong enough. Also I think the hen had her hock on the chicks leg overnight. I took it out and put it back in the incubator with the slower hatching chicks for 24 hours, and then put the whole lot back under the hen the following night. She happily took them in the two batches, but I confined her with them for another 24 hours before letting them out of the brooding coop, into its run, just to be on the safe side. Good luck..

#86004 - 06/30/07 07:48 PM Re: new chick w/ momma- need advice quick UPDATE
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

UPDATE: I left the chick with OEG Mamma and both chicks & Mom are doing great! I still have the bandaid on the chick's legs, but she is about strong enough for me to take it off. Here's a pic of Mom & her babies from today:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s38/cgmccary/ChickensI004.jpg

#86005 - 07/01/07 06:02 AM Re: new chick w/ momma- need advice quick UPDATE
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Yay! Nice picture and great update! I'm so happy things are working out. You do know, though, any time you have to give special attention to a chick like that, it always turns out to be a rooster. wink

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2