Topic Options
#86012 - 06/26/06 10:45 PM Swollen head, weight loss, and weeping eyes!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Yep, definately not my year! I have a breeder hen that has shown absolutely no symptoms of anything other before, and now she has just everything I can think of!

The hen is a Black Australorp about 1 year old. She has been in the same flock for the past 6 months. I added 1 new hen after it was in Quarantine for about 1 week. That hen has no symptoms of anything ever being wrong with her. Here's the problem. Australorp (youngster) has facial swelling. Entire face is swollen, her left side of the face is pale and both wattles are very pale. The eye on the right side of her face looks like it's sinking inwards and has some white underneath it. I believe it's just the tissue inside the eye becoming visible. She is able to see out of it, but it is beginning to weep. She only had these symptoms for the first time today, and I instantly marked her. I have put her in isolation and while moving her, noticed she weighs ALOT less than her other flock mates. Her comb is still bright red, but the feathers around her head seem broken and just plain bad. She looks like she is constantly wet up there. Earlier, when I first noticed the swelling, she had a runny nose, but it has stopped for awhile. I have put some Vicks to help her breathing for the night.

Yesterday, I noticed a 'dead animal smell' in the backyard. I looked for the source with no luck. Today, I saw it. It was a dead starling next to the chicken pen. I'm HOPING the neighbors dogs killed it. Is there anything I can do for her? Or is her fate sealed? Is there anything I can do for her flock?
Thanks for any help all!

Mikaela

#86013 - 06/30/06 11:27 AM Re: Swollen head, weight loss, and weeping eyes!
Deb AZ Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Have you noticed a bad smell on her?
Typically severe facial swelling is due to Infectious Coryza. Here are 2 links you can read to find more information.

Infectious Coryza

Merks Vet Manuel

Deb

#86014 - 06/30/06 11:23 PM Re: Swollen head, weight loss, and weeping eyes!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I held her really close to my face and could not smell any problems. She has been removed from the flock and the swelling has not gone down. She laid a VERY small egg yesterday and is having horrible runny stool. I figured that if I noticed a smell, it would be similar to something one of our birds had about 3 years ago, but she had no smell. Just the weepy eyes, paleness, and runny nose. Now, with the diarrhea, she is getting progressively worse! I'm thinking about giving her some Terramyacin, but am not sure as to if she really needs it.

Mikaela

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2