Topic Options
#86112 - 03/16/07 09:53 AM Wounded Pullet - ????
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found one of my pullets wounded this morning. It looks as if something took a bite out of the left side of her hind end. It appears that just the top layer of skin and feathers were torn off about a 4"X3" area. She stay's crouched and is not walking normal just wobbling around. Her eyes look clear and bright. I have isolated her with food and water - she is eating and drinking. What do I need to do for the wound? Do I wash it with soap and warm water? Does she need medication? Do you think it would be ok with just topical antibiotic ointment ect.? I am new to the chicken world. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you, Amy

#86113 - 03/16/07 10:35 AM Re: Wounded Pullet - ????
Ridekool Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Canada
I once had a dog take a chunk out of a hen of mine. I kept her in a box with food and water and put polysporin on her wound. I cleaned her up with saline solution (1/2 tsp salt to 1 cup of water, I boil everthing and use it once it cools down). She healed fine and lived to a ripe old age.

#86114 - 03/16/07 01:29 PM Re: Wounded Pullet - ????
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Cleaning with saline is a good idea and then using the topical triple antibiotic cream. I like to get the one that says "plus" because it has a little bit of anesthetic in it for pain. It's good that she's eating. Just keep her separated, dark, cozy, warm and out of drafts and hopefully she'll heal and perk up really soon.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2