Topic Options
#86121 - 12/31/07 07:50 AM Black 6 month old Chicken Tried to lay 1st egg and the inside of her came out
T. Gaudette Offline
Chick

Loc: Wisconsin
She layed an egg and I pulled confused shell out of this mess.
And alot of runny stuff dripped out. But the inside of her is still hanging out. My husband pushed it all back in and she ate and drank and had a healthy poop but this morning it is hanging out again and it needs to be cleaned of . Full of poop. Please I do not want to lose this bueatiful Chicken

#86122 - 12/31/07 07:54 AM Re: Black 6 month old Chicken Tried to lay 1st egg and the inside of her came out
T. Gaudette Offline
Chick

I have washed her off yersterday and brought her into the house and dryed her feathers and I am keeping her warm and comfortable too.

#86123 - 12/31/07 08:38 AM Re: Black 6 month old Chicken Tried to lay 1st egg and the inside of her came out
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Sounds like a prolapse of the oviduct, called a blowout, and sometimes happens with young pullets that start laying too young(according to Damerow in her "Chicken Health Handbook.) And this is Damerow's advice:
"Clean, then poke it back in, and apply hemorrhoidal cream (Preparation H). Keep her away from any other birds until she heals. They will pick and destroy the part, if so, she may bleed to death or die of shock." She may recover completely, or not be a productive bird, if the bulge out of the oviduct does not stay in place.

Good luck, CJR

#86124 - 12/31/07 11:11 AM Re: Black 6 month old Chicken Tried to lay 1st egg and the inside of her came out
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
You can use honey too, if you don't have any preparation H. Honey is effective.

Let us know how she is doing in a day or so????

#86125 - 01/04/08 06:50 PM Re: Black 6 month old Chicken Tried to lay 1st egg and the inside of her came out
T. Gaudette Offline
Chick

My hen is doing very good. Thanks for the wonderful idea of using Preparation H ( I did not have any honey)
It all is staying in now. I have tryed to put her out with the other girls but they were really picking on her so she is still in my bathroom, and I think she likes staying warm inside. I will work her in there slowly. The vet in town said to my husband "have chicken dinner"
I almost died! Thanks so much for your help Theresa

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2