Topic Options
#86126 - 07/11/05 11:54 AM head wound with baby duck
Anonymous
Unregistered

my duck is about 2 months old and i went out to feed the ducks and noticed that she had like a mouth wound from what i believe to be a turtle and her beak is torn in a zig zag manner and slightly bleeding. What can i do?

#86127 - 07/12/05 03:00 PM Re: head wound with baby duck
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
can it eat still? how big is it? could you super glue it? is it bleeding?
i dont know quack about ducks but there is not enough info for someone like (runners) to help you out.

#86128 - 07/12/05 03:50 PM Re: head wound with baby duck
Anonymous
Unregistered

yes the duck is ok today. Luckily we have an avian vet nearby and i also found out the wound was worse than i had thought. The cut was about 3/4 of an inch horizontally(all the way past the eyes) and the beak became swollen. I had posted my message because the vet hadn't responded to my call and really wanted to know what to do in case i didn't get a call back. So it ended up that the duck(a 2 month old pekin/rouen mix) had to have between 15 to 20 stitches on it's head and now has anti-inflammitories and antibiotics to take twice a day. Also it was a snapping turtle that did it and i recently found a raccoon nest. I know how to get rid of the raccoons, but i need a solution for the turtle. I have tried meat on a treble hook and that has not worked and i do not have a seine net. So does anyone know someone in ohio that would like try to catch a big turtle? laugh

#86129 - 07/13/05 08:51 AM Re: head wound with baby duck
Anonymous
Unregistered

Snapping turtles are hard to catch. The best way to get rid of it would be to wait for it to surface and shoot it with a .22 rifle. I regularly shoot snappers that make their way into my pond.

#86130 - 07/13/05 09:40 AM Re: head wound with baby duck
Anonymous
Unregistered

two problems with that- 1.I don't own a rifle and 2. I've never seen the turtle basking on rocks. I've just seen large bubbles every now and then. I have seen small turtles that wouldn't be able to eat a duck, sunning themselves and then i go to catch them with my net and they usually get away. I am working on a plan to get the turtle wink

#86131 - 07/13/05 11:03 AM Re: head wound with baby duck
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
how big is your pond?

maybe put a few more lines out with wire leaders, single size 4/0 circle hooks and and a chunk of beef stew meat on each. as long as you dont have a pond full of crawdads or catfish, you will eventually get your turtle.
you could also substitute fresh makerel for the beef as it will also stay on the hook.

#86132 - 07/13/05 11:39 AM Re: head wound with baby duck
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found a huge trap today and ordered that and that should work.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2