Topic Options
#86133 - 05/21/07 03:52 PM Hole in Muscle
Anonymous
Unregistered

This morning a raccoon tried to eat our Silkie rooster alive. It ripped half the skin off his back, leaving an inch wide and half an inch deep hole in the muscle of his back. It is bleeding slightly, but there is nothing in the wound. He is able to walk a bit, but I'm not really sure what I can do. Any suggestions?

#86134 - 05/21/07 04:17 PM Re: Hole in Muscle
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Put a big dab of honey on it and make sure the others don't pick at the injury. He might be better in a cage near the others. You will just have to observe and see what the rest do. Can you lock them all up in a raccoon proof place at night, or when you're not home?

#86135 - 05/22/07 09:42 AM Re: Hole in Muscle
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Jocelyn, you beat me to it. I was going to say honey too.

A couple months back our dog, who is old and slowing down, got bit by a bear. Nasty injury! Should have seen the vet. But since he behaves so badly at the vet he's not allowed there unless drugged into unconsciousness. Once he's out, since he weighs over 100 lbs, I can't load him in the truck...long story. I used honey. He kept licking it off despite bandaging efforts. I was sure there would be infection. But none. No heat, no swelling, just clean, healing tissue.

Sounds crazy, but I believe in honey! If possible, warm the honey slightly until it is liquid and easier to drizzle over injury. Sticky honey, thick, can be difficult and painful to apply. Good luck!

#86136 - 05/22/07 05:49 PM Re: Hole in Muscle
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great thanks. With the honey, should we put something over it to protect it from flies/other chickens?
Right now he's in with his hen, who is completely broody and will not a move an inch, in a cage in my room.
Also, should I wash the honey away after a few days? Like a bath or something?
Thanks again.

#86137 - 05/22/07 09:56 PM Re: Hole in Muscle
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

No, do not wash the honey off but do protect him from other chickens who will peck him to pieces if given the chance. If the only other chicken around is a broody hen....it might be okay, but keep a sharp eye that she isn't eating him!

I've never been very succesful at getting a bandage to stay on anything. But a bandage would protect him from flies. Are there lots of flies? Is there a way you could keep him in a small cage covered with an old sheet or something for a few days until a scab has begun to form?

When I need emergency shelter for an injured bird, I put it under an upside down laundry basket and set in a bowl of water and food if needed. I set it on newspapers and fold up and throw out the newspapers as they get poopy. Works great for a few days confinement.

Hope all goes well.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2