Topic Options
#86173 - 07/07/05 07:23 AM Poor chick with a bad broken leg.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello. Yesterday one of my two month od chicks got hit with a fly-away baseball. It's pretty bad. she broke it above the elbow. We splinted it but she doesn't walk, only when she has to. She is eating though, so thats good. Any suggestions? I'm kinda worried. confused Thank you. -Sarah-

#86174 - 07/07/05 08:01 AM Re: Poor chick with a bad broken leg.
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
That's an odd way to break a leg?! I don't think I'd expect her to walk after that. I'm not sure that the leg is the most harmful problem. Did she happen to get him somewhere on the body? If so, make sure there are no broken ribs or anything else out of the ordinary. You may want to help stabilize her leg by using tape with popsicle sticks and/or vetwrap. You do have her separated right? Make sure she gets plenty of rest and water and feed. Keep us posted!

#86175 - 07/07/05 04:00 PM Re: Poor chick with a bad broken leg.
Moderator2 Offline
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
I have read past posts about splinted legs healing well enough for the chicken to have a near normal life.

#86176 - 07/07/05 08:28 PM Re: Poor chick with a bad broken leg.
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I meant immediately after hurting herself. Sorry for the mix-up! Have you felt around her abdomen for anything protruding where it shouldn't be? Or is everything else alright besides the leg?

#86177 - 07/08/05 01:22 PM Re: Poor chick with a bad broken leg.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everything else looks fine except the break. I have felt around her and she seems fine. She didn't walk after she was hit by the ball, but I think that was shock. She's by herself and just eats and lays there. She tries to walk but she has to balance on one foot to do that and so she can't walk well at all. Thanks, any more suggestions would be awesome. -Sarah

#86178 - 07/08/05 06:51 PM Re: Poor chick with a bad broken leg.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sarahsue, Our pig stepped on our chicken and broke her leg. We have put a splint on it. I bought finger splints, they seem to be a good size and the are cushioned. I hope your chicken does well, just keep her calm and feed and water her of course.

#86179 - 07/11/05 07:09 PM Re: Poor chick with a bad broken leg.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't think of finger splints. Thats such a great idea...thanks so much! -Sarah-

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2