Topic Options
#86207 - 05/10/05 10:49 AM limping chicken
Murphy Offline
Feather

Loc: Oklahoma
I have a hen who recently had baby chicks. One morning she was walking on the tips of her toes on the right side. I did not find any swelling, wounds, no fracture etc. Both her legs look fine. It is getting worse. Now she is laying on her hocks and scoots around like that. Of course when i saw her limping ,I locked her up in a stall with her babies. She is eating and drinking fine.
Does anyone have any ideas about what to do next?

#86208 - 05/10/05 11:24 AM Re: limping chicken
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
It may be Marek's Disease--no treatment, no cure, go to the SEARCH at the top of the site and you will find lots of posts about it. Keep food and water so she can reach it. IF it is Marek's, she is in no pain, but sadly, she likely won't survive very long, so make plans right away, to care for the chicks. CJR

#86209 - 05/11/05 11:00 AM Re: limping chicken
Murphy Offline
Feather

Loc: Oklahoma
Thank you CJR, for your reply on my post. I read everything there is to read about Marek's Disease. I am prepared for it. Well, the hen with the chicks is in a little pen outside. She will walk, but still on the tips of her right toes. She does rest on her hocks. She is still eating fine, drinking Ok and her stool is normal. She actually likes to be picked up now..and have her feed brought to her.. and the extra mealworms... . hmmm... maybe she is just pretending.....
sincerely, Murphy

#86210 - 05/11/05 01:26 PM Re: limping chicken
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Chickens never pretend to be sick or injured--their survival depends upon "looking healthy" whether they are or not! Take care of her and maybe she will recover--(but if it is Marek's, and she makes a rare recovery, they are carriers for life--and may succumb to same symptoms later). No one can predict for sure. Just do the best you can! Good luck, CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2