Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#86266 - 06/19/05 08:07 PM Re: Mareks Disease? Weird chick?
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Personally, I don't think Marek's is the immediate threat to your poultry. In theory, the poop idea would work. However, I don't know..it's just my thinking but, what if the other birds are just carriers of the disease that you got from McMurray? They may show no signs of illness, but could be transferring it to each other. Since they are protected from the hatchery they are in no danger. But, I don't know if your birds you might give the poop to would be safe from the "could be" sickness. You might not want to spread the illness is possible? I don't know, I was just wondering if it could be possible. Rob? Do you know if this is a logical possiblity? I was just wondering if it might cause the other non-vaccinated birds to become sicker?

#86267 - 06/20/05 02:17 PM Re: Mareks Disease? Weird chick?
David Offline
Bantam

Loc: Connecticut
Thanks to everyone for the help but it was all just too late, our little chick died this afternoon. I have not seen any signs of this in our other chicks. Is there anything I should do att his point with the other chicks besides adding some medicated food to their diet?

#86268 - 06/20/05 04:22 PM Re: Mareks Disease? Weird chick?
T. Adkerson Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
David,

Go to a feed store and purchase a bag of medicated chick starter. Follow the directions on the bag.

Make a bleach solution of 1 1/2 cups of bleach to 1 gallon of water. Put the solution in a spayer and spay the area where the young birds have been dropping their feces. First clean out the soiled litter. This will disinfect the area. Put the chicks back when the area is dry and free of bleach fumes. If it is coccidiosis, make sure there are no wet areas where the birds feed. The protozoan that causes coccidiosis thrives in warm moist areas.

Tim Adkerson

#86269 - 06/21/05 07:00 PM Re: Mareks Disease? Weird chick?
David Offline
Bantam

Loc: Connecticut
Tim, thanks for your help. I cleaned the coop and got medicated starter feed. All looks ok at this point. I guess I should have read more about this, I wasn't even aware if this illness. I havn't had problems before, but I havn't gotten chicks this young before I always got pullets. Thanks again

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2