Topic Options
#86421 - 10/01/08 01:40 PM brain exposed on chick
Pipit Offline
Feather

Loc: Florida
I was out with the chickens day before yesterday and noticed one of my month old chicks is missing the top of its skull and its brain is exposed. I couldn't catch it and it seems to not have any distress. It runs, pecks, scratches and roosts like normal. It is looking rather dirty now. we figured it would be dead by now, but it seems fine. Will the skull grow back? Is there anything I can or should do for it? Do I have another Mike the Wonder Chicken?

#86422 - 10/01/08 04:36 PM Re: brain exposed on chick
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Pipit, I don't know the answer. Try smearing honey on the raw area, if you can catch it without hurting it. Leave it alone otherwise as you don't want to make it run under something and bump its head. If it avoids brain injury, the skin should close in a week or so. I had one born with the eyes encased in normal bone and the rest all exposed. It lived and grew skin over the whole affair after several weeks. Its head became hard and it lived several years, not a normal span, but healthy. I don't think the skull was a normal shape, it seemed longer and higher, not as wide as usual chickens.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2