Topic Options
#86448 - 02/02/07 04:55 PM bleeding toe
Chip Offline
Chicken

Loc: Georgia
Hi -sorry if this may not seem urgent but I was told that there is a big vein that goes to the toe claws of animals.
My chicken has lost one of her claws somehow - i'm clueless to how it happened - she's been bleeding for hours so i've applied liquid bandaid but it keeps bleeding so i'm not sure what to do.
any ideas?
thanks,
Chip

#86449 - 02/02/07 05:08 PM Re: bleeding toe
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Put pressure where the bleeding is occurring. Make sure that blood stops before putting another type of bandage on. Running water over the wound helps sometimes, but can also make the problem worse.

A cotton swab allows more moisture to be gathered in a small amount of space, so I try to use those alot, but sometimes the cotton pieces get caught in the blood and make it look even worse.

You may also apply some baking flour to the wound to try to stop the bleeding. This is what groomers do when they accidenatlly nick too close to the quick on a dog's toenail. It helps when spurs bleed as well. I believe the main thing you should try is to apply pressure then go from there. The bleeding should stop within 30 min-1 hr. It may take you to hold her for some time. Look at it this way...you can watch a good movie! smile

Please keep us posted on this!
Mikaela

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2