Topic Options
#86450 - 07/27/09 07:37 AM Listless, Won't Stand, Watery Poop
R. Beels Offline
Feather

Loc: Pennsylvania
Opening the birds this morning, one of the hens (silver Polish) was on the floor, stretched out in the sunning pose; but she wasn't sunning herself in the back of the coop. The other birds were cackling and picking at her too. She seemed a little off her game last night, but it was a busy day in hen-dom, so I didn't think anything of it.

Today, she's laying on her breast, doesn't want to stand up, legs seem paralyzed, eyes half closed in that "leave me alone" look, watery uric "poop," and her mouth is full of spit. She doesn't seem to be laboring, just sitting there. I, of course, moved her out of the coop into a shady area and gave her some sugar water and yogurt as a pallative.

The flock is 5-1/2 years old. The others are fine (except for that case of favus a couple weeks ago that is clearing up nicely with athlete's foot cream).

Please help.

#86451 - 07/27/09 11:56 AM Re: Listless, Won't Stand, Watery Poop
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
She might be going to just pass on. It's hard to tell, but old hens, dying, sometimes go that way. If she is ill instead, you are on the right track with sugar water and yoghurt, and peace and quiet.
let us all know how she is later today, and we might be able to offer some help.

Jocelyn

#86452 - 07/28/09 10:18 PM Re: Listless, Won't Stand, Watery Poop
R. Beels Offline
Feather

Loc: Pennsylvania
Well, I culled her later that afternoon. She didn't want to eat or drink and was getting worse off. I did some more reading, and it looks like it was botulism. This description kind of nailed it on the head:

Quote:
Weakness is generally the first sign of the illness and is followed by progressive flaccid paralysis of the legs, wings and neck. When neck muscles are affected the head hangs limp, thus causing a condition referred to as "limberneck." Affected birds may have a peculiar trembling, loose feathers that are pulled out easily and dull partly closed eyes. Because of the paralysis, birds are unable to swallow and mucous accumulates in the mouth. Fatally affected birds may lie in a profound coma appearing lifeless for several hours before death.
Her crop/proto-v did regurgitate after she passed, and it smelled like a really good hot and sour soup. Kind of gross when you think about it, but there it is.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2