Topic Options
#86473 - 07/01/05 06:34 PM Laryngotracheitis?!? Wheezing Chick, please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a chick just a week shy of three months who just today has started wheezing. In The Chicken Health Handbook Laryngotracheitis seems to best describe what is happening. She's congested and making a wheezy cawing like sound with each breath. Warmth and calm seem to help with the wheezing. I've seperated her and have a heat lamp near her. What else should I do? Any ideas what she may have? She seems fine in all other ways. Just the breathing. It almost sounds like a baby crying. I'm very concerned and would appreciate any help anyone can give!

#86474 - 07/01/05 09:04 PM Re: Laryngotracheitis?!? Wheezing Chick, please help.
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
that is good that you noticed it so fast. you are on the right track, but im sure you are familiar with chicken health issues. many folks use the myacins in water for respriratory problems.

#86475 - 07/01/05 09:11 PM Re: Laryngotracheitis?!? Wheezing Chick, please help.
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I just kept my brahma hen in a nice dark, warm place. No really loud sounds. I dripped water down her throat and force fed her chick starter mixed with water to form a mush. This made it easier for her to swallow. In my case, I had a tiny squirt bottle and only dribbled a few squirts on the top of the lower beak. This allowed her to breathe while I watered her. She made it but not all cases are so lucky.

#86476 - 07/01/05 09:15 PM Re: Laryngotracheitis?!? Wheezing Chick, please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll try a "myacin", I'm going to run to the feed store in the morning. Thank you magoo.

#86477 - 07/01/05 10:45 PM Re: Laryngotracheitis?!? Wheezing Chick, please help.
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
An "old wives" treatment for difficult breathing--just like for children--Vicks Vapo Rub under the throat and smeared down the breast a little ways. If the bird is not too sick, they try to clean the feathers, and it may relieve the breathing (not a cure, just a relief). CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2