Topic Options
#86510 - 06/08/05 07:53 PM Damaged vent after dog attack
Oznic Offline
New Egg

Loc: Australia
Hi. Last evening one of my hens got next door where they have 4 terriers. They attacked her - she made it up onto the fence, but she has lost all her tail feathers. We kept her quiet last night, but this morning she is hardly walking/foraging. I had a look at her - I'm a novice with chooks, but the ribbed part around her rear (the vent?) seems damaged, and I can see a pink membrane inside. What should I do. Will she be OK?

#86511 - 06/08/05 10:07 PM Re: Damaged vent after dog attack
Oznic Offline
New Egg

Update on Monique - the chook who was attacked. She has been in and out of her nest box all morning. I just went to check on her again, and she has laid an egg. It is quite long - about two and half inches and about one third down from the pointy end, it looks like a rubber band was placed round it - it is thinner in that spot, then it gets fatter again as it goes toward to rounder end. There is a bit of blood smeared on the egg.
My chooks (3 of them) are pretty young and only been laying for a couple of weeks, so the eggs haven't been too big so far. I'm taking her to an avian vet, but couldn't get appt till 6pm (Australian time. Any advice/reassurance gratefully received.

#86512 - 06/09/05 03:39 AM Re: Damaged vent after dog attack
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Stress during the attack could have caused the strange shaped egg. Also it is normal for some hens to lay eggs of verying size and shape. The fact that she passed the egg without incident is a good sign. Keep the wound clean so it doesn't get infected and I think she will be fine. She may act odd for some time because of the attack.

Bill L

#86513 - 06/09/05 04:33 AM Re: Damaged vent after dog attack
Oznic Offline
New Egg

Thanks Bill,
I found another wound at the top of her leg. Maybe that's why she's having trouble walking. It looks like the skin is gone - just muscle and a bit of yellow fat. About 1 inch diameter. I think I've seen advice elsewhere on this forum about how to keep the wound clean. I'll have a look. thanks everyone.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2