Topic Options
#86514 - 01/16/09 05:39 AM Hen Swallowed String
Langshan Girl Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
I have a three year old langshan hen that tried to swallow a string. The string must have fallen on the ground from a project I was working on. It is thin nylon string about 3 feet long. She has swallowed about 4-12" of it and the string is stuck. When I found her just now, she had got it caught on the roost and was unable to move being all tangled up. I untangled her immediately. I tried to gently pull on the string, but it did not budge. I do not want to damage her insides.

Should I cut the remaining string and hope she passes it?

Should I try to pull it out?

Any other suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

#86515 - 01/16/09 07:53 AM Re: Hen Swallowed String
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
DO NOT PULL!!! eek

Yes, cut and hope for passage.

#86516 - 01/16/09 08:38 AM Re: Hen Swallowed String
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
It depends upon the length of time since swallowin! Immediately after finding it, a slow,intermittant, gentle pull can remove it all from the crop, if it hasn't gotten too mixed with feed stuffs.

Depending upon amount of string actually ingested, it is unlikely that it can move on easily--even long grass stems can get caught in the crop and impact. Synthetic string cannot break down like grass-so...

Guess it is a waiting game, but I would not let the string end disappear, if it can be kept handy for a possible removal by hand. Good luck, CJR

And if impaction occurs, the surgical removal from the crop is next on the list???

#86517 - 01/16/09 11:09 AM Re: Hen Swallowed String
Langshan Girl Offline
Bantam

I soon realized the matter was too urgent to wait for a response. The hen began trying the swallow the remaining feet of string very quickly. This is what happened-

The hen trusts me very much and allowed me to put my finger in the back of her mouth. I placed the string over the top of my finger. Very very slowly and very very gently I pulled some of the string out. She voluntarily let me pull about 12" out with almost no tension. I had it so the string was rubbing on my finger and not the top of her throat, which is why I think it worked since before it was digging into her throat when I tugged. After about 12", the string did not want to budge with gentle pulling. At this point she let me know that was enough! I immediately stopped and cut the string as close to her beak as possible. I set her down, she looked up at me, walked away, and began scratching around for food like nothing had ever happened.

I isolated her in a smaller pen so I can keep a close eye on her and watch for any passing string. Apparently the string was longer than I thought. I will watch carefully for crop impaction.

Thanks so much for the advice. If there is anything I can give her to help her chances of passing the string, let me know.

#86518 - 01/16/09 11:29 AM Re: Hen Swallowed String
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I think you have done well--. I simply cannot believe that this can pass into the "stomach",and on into the gizzard as a blob. It depends upon whether is has become tangled into a "ball". The crop has no muscle, so it may be just "sitting" there??? If she has a good GRIT supply in her gizzard, perhaps the string can be "chewed" up and passed along--IF it can get that far??? I do not think adding Grit now would be a help, as it has no effect except in the gizzard and might have a hard time passing from the crop, if mixed with the string.

If it does stay in the crop, which I believe is likely--surgical removal is apparently not painful, can be successfully done, with care of feeding during healing phase.

GOOD LUCK, CJR

#86519 - 01/22/09 06:10 AM Re: Hen Swallowed String
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
Langshangirl,
How is your hen?

#86520 - 01/28/09 05:20 AM Re: Hen Swallowed String
Langshan Girl Offline
Bantam

So far the hen has not passed the string. She looks and acts completely normal, and her crop feels fine at this point. I still have her isolated, but she isn't happy about it. I am debating if I should let her back in with the others. If I do,I can still watch her. I am just worried that if she did pass the string that someone else would eat it. Thanks again for all the help! I really appreciate it.

Langshangirl

#86521 - 02/05/09 12:54 AM Re: Hen Swallowed String
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
How is your chicken now Langshangirl?

#86522 - 02/05/09 07:05 PM Re: Hen Swallowed String
Langshan Girl Offline
Bantam

She seems fine, but no sign of the string. She is the dominant hen, and is already back to keeping everyone else in their place. She is a smart girl too. She didn't want to be isolated anymore, so she managed to open her pen. I had a bag of probiotics double bagged next to the feed bin, and she opened up both bags and scattered it everywhere by the time I found her. She is always getting into trouble. I have to give her things to scratch for or she will find other more destructive ways to entertain herself. I guess it's no wonder she found the string.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2 
Who's Online
1 registered (John), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box