Topic Options
#86528 - 04/16/05 02:50 PM wound on hens side
Gawle Offline
Bantam

Loc: North Carolina
Hello- I have a hen that has a huge wound on her side-under the wing. I thought it was just feathers and have removed the rooster- but when I was holding her today I noticed it is more like a big whole in her side. It also smells! I am freaking out! IT looks like she has a pocket of flesh that is dried and crusted- She is out today with all the other hens- eating and drinking and does not seem in any pain- please advise as to what I should do....thanks in advance- Lisa, worried "Mom"

#86529 - 04/16/05 03:58 PM Re: wound on hens side
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
If it is not hot to touch and is not swelled then I wouldn't worry too much. Go with the basics. Clean with peroxide and apply some Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment.

Bill L

#86530 - 04/16/05 08:33 PM Re: wound on hens side
Gawle Offline
Bantam

Thank you- what do you think of Blue Kote? The guys at the feed store said that might be good. I will try the others in the morning. She still seems fine, I am just worried about the others picking on her- thanks- Lisa

#86531 - 04/17/05 06:00 AM Re: wound on hens side
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
Keep the roo off her for a while, I had one that got real bad sores one year from a rooster. I didn't notice then because she was barn hen and not a lap hen. I was horrified too. Just doctor with an antiseptic, blue kote should be fine, but neosporine will help keep the skin soft. My hens never noticed her sores because they were under the wing, keep an eye on her.

#86532 - 04/17/05 09:02 AM Re: wound on hens side
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

I haven't used blue kote to coment on it. Probably would be ok though.

Bill L

#86533 - 04/18/05 04:01 PM Re: wound on hens side
Deb AZ Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
I mean no disrespect Bill but you cannot use hydrogen peroxide on wounds such as these ONLY on superficial wounds. Hydrogen peroxide inhibits the healing of flesh. It cannot be used for any type of wound that requiers deep healing to tissue.

The best cleansing agent for punctures or deep wounds is to flush would with sterile water. and if bottled or sterile is not available flush with tap water to rid all debris and clean. Then apply an ointment that promotes the healing of proud flesh.

A wound such as this will heal from the inside out. Beaware that some products may themselves cause irratation to the soft tissue.

If the area has a putrid oder and raised red swelling this is a sign of infection. Cleansing and an anitbiotic ointment is the best course to follow. The wound will look angry.

Removal of feathers in and around the area helps in cleaning and closer examination of the wound.
Clean bedding to aid in keeping the area clean.

In choosing a product please read the lables they will tell you what type of wound they are only effective on. Deep wounds must have care taken to promote actual healing and to prevent further infection.

Bill sorry alot of folks do not know the hazards of hydrogen peroxide we think the bubbles mean it is cleaning, well it is but it also eats ( for a better word) tissue.

I hope this helps for future reference.

Deb

#86534 - 04/18/05 04:21 PM Re: wound on hens side
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

No offense taken. I did not read closely enough. I saw "whole side" when I read it and I think she meant "A Hole in her side". I pictured more of a surface scrape covering a large surface. Thanks for correcting my error.
I will send a PM to bring this to her attention.

Bill L

#86535 - 04/18/05 06:17 PM Re: wound on hens side
Deb AZ Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Glad no offence taken Bill. I realize it is hard to be really clear in an emergency situation. I was not trying to pick at the post but just wanted to remind folks.

Deb

#86536 - 04/21/05 03:09 PM Re: wound on hens side
Gawle Offline
Bantam

Thank you for all the help- she is doing much better. I did use the hydrogen peroxide once and then applies a ointment- she seems to be great! No- smell from the wound either! Thanks- Lisa

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2