Topic Options
#86602 - 07/22/06 03:27 PM Extreme Heat Birds Panting
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is 113 in the shade of their run. No breeze. I put misters out over the run to try to cool them down but it doesn't seem to be working.

Almost all 16 are panting.

Hoping this isn't really emergency and that someone will tell me they will be just fine.

But I don't want the weather to cook a bird! Or fry a bird brain.

We are setting a fan up now to blow the mist deeper into the run and add the cooling of evaporation.

Help!!

Kathy eek

#86603 - 07/22/06 03:35 PM Re: Extreme Heat Birds Panting
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
We had quite a hot spell last week also (over 100 most days, high humidity and little breeze). I put fans on my birds day and night. They do free range during the day but when it's like that I'm not sure it makes alot of difference (unless you have a really crowded coop). Make sure they have plenty of fresh, cool drinking water as well as the misting. Moving some air around with the fans will help too. Remember, panting is their way of sweating and if it's hot they will pant. We can sweat without being in danger of heat sickness. I look at other things as well to gauge severity of temp--are they moving about when I come out (they normally do so if not I worry), are they eating and drinking, acting "normal" except maybe trying to stay cool, etc. With all you are doing they may get hot but they should survive. Not a pleasant time of year for man nor beast!!!

#86604 - 07/22/06 03:42 PM Re: Extreme Heat Birds Panting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try a kiddie pool or shallow pan/tub full of cold water. The most important thing is to give them as much cold water as possible to drink- and if they can stand in it, even better. Run a fan, that'll help (but not much in excessive heat) but if it's really humid I do NOT suggest using misters. Misters work best by evaporative cooling- which means when it's 98% humidity it just makes things worse (plus it makes things wet, which can cause an explosion in the fly population).

Another idea is to give your birds cold treats, such as watermelons or canteloupe. As long as they've got something cold to drink, a bit of a breeze and some shade, they should be okay (hot, but okay).

BTW I can totally empathize with you about the heat. It hit 110 here recently with horrible humidity (dewpoint of 64). But then again, we expect 100+ temps in Kansas and eventually get used to 3 months of it...I don't know how well people on the coasts are faring.

Best of luck!

Oh- if things get TOO hot, perhaps you can rig up a temp pen in a garage or something to house them, if only for the very hottest part of the day.

#86605 - 07/22/06 03:44 PM Re: Extreme Heat Birds Panting
Anonymous
Unregistered

They are getting up and moving when we go in.

Several are busy digging to the other side of the world to find cooler ground.

Looks like short of inviting them into the house for afternoon iced tea I'll just observe and hope. Supposed to be hot like this through Tuesday.

The meat birds I just got done slaughtering would lay right in the mist and get soaking wet when they were hot. Still two got so hot they died. Looks like the regurgitated and aspirated. My layer flock seems to handle the heat much better.

Loss of on the the meat birds was sad but I've grown quite attached to the layers.

Now if I could only observe the Barred Rock Rooster drinking I'd feel better. He is panting the worst.

Thanks

#86606 - 07/22/06 07:22 PM Re: Extreme Heat Birds Panting
Anonymous
Unregistered

One more thing- beware if you use a shallow tub, as you don't want it to flip over and trap a bird UNDER it. For some reason they like to perch on the sides and upset it, and invariably one gets caught... (I found this out the hard way a few years ago when came home from work & found a dead pullet trapped underneath a flipped-over tub.)

#86607 - 07/22/06 10:14 PM Re: Extreme Heat Birds Panting
Chicken Mania Offline
Bantam

Loc: Oregon
Not only does a mister increase the humidity but it makes dust baths very difficult and messy. Make sure they have a shaded are of dry ground to dust themselves.

#86608 - 07/23/06 07:45 AM Re: Extreme Heat Birds Panting
Twin Oaks Farm Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Louisiana
I'm using a big fan 24/7, keeping all windows and air vents open, and taking the advice on cool water. Haven't tried the wading pool yet, but may do so today. Lots of mine are half-grown, and they seem to be panting less than the laying hens. I'm also making them all stay in the shade all day. (Yeah, I know the best tidbits are out THERE, but it's HOT, girls . . .)

#86609 - 07/23/06 04:52 PM Re: Extreme Heat Birds Panting
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

How is your humidity? I have family in Washington state and have vacationed there a few times and found it to be dry compared to here (see what happens when I assume...). Do take that into consideration though. If it's less than about 70% or so the misting will feel good to them. And the point about a dry spot for dust bathing is a good one. I thought we had a pretty good set-up--it's a two stall garage and we put in two windows. If I left the two big doors open I thought that was pretty good. Today we added another window and I was surprised how much difference it made. Lesson I learned, the more air you can move the better. If you can't put in more windows keep the fans going!

#86610 - 07/23/06 06:07 PM Re: Extreme Heat Birds Panting
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Open air, fans, refreshing their water with cold well water a couple of times a day - those are the things I always do when it gets really hot. My birds have a favorite shady spot, and I've hosed it down a bit and hosed the large tree up above it so it would drip. They run from the hose but come right back when I'm done and seem to enjoy the cooler, damp environment.

There's not a whole lot you can do and losses in high heat are a given, but hopefully it won't be any of yours! I've done pretty well with it over the years, but have definitely lost meat birds during periods of unexpected high heat. They simply can't take it.

#86611 - 07/24/06 07:53 PM Re: Extreme Heat Birds Panting
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Susie I love that dripping tree idea! I used to think I was sort of creative until I found this website, now I know I certainly have no corner on that market. Some really inventive people here!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2