Topic Options
#86612 - 02/16/07 06:34 PM lying on the ground - convuslions
Heddy Offline
Feather

Loc: Canada
I found one of my hens on her side, largely unresponsive this afternoon. I put her in a box, with food and water available, and put her under shelter in the drive shed. Her eyes remained closed when I moved her, and she was quite limp. When I checked on her later, she appeared to be convulsing or twitching periodically, and there was strangely yellow-coloured droppings under her. I have never lost a hen before -she is an ameracauna, quite old I think, but I am wondering if there is anything else I should do for her, and if my other hens are at risk. frown

#86613 - 02/16/07 08:23 PM Re: lying on the ground - convuslions
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Maybe poisoning?? Inspect the poultry area for anything that she might have eaten or been drinking, that could be questionable. A flush of the crop must be done assap to be effective, if a poison, unlikely to help at all, at this point. Otherwise, from a post, it is not possible to guess what has happened. Very sorry, CJR

#86614 - 02/17/07 01:07 AM Re: lying on the ground - convuslions
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Maybe she has had a heart attack which has led to a stroke. Convulsions suggest either some sort of neurological happening, or poisoning as CJR suggests. I'd keep her warm and isolated and see what develops.

#86615 - 02/17/07 09:59 AM Re: lying on the ground - convuslions
Heddy Offline
Feather

Loc: Canada
Several hours later, she has died. Thank you both for your thoughts- it is sad to loose a lovely old bird like "Dinah"...

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2