Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#86675 - 12/29/07 05:01 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Richard in MA Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
Have you researched Marek's? If your flock has not been vaccinated for it it could be the problem. Unfortunately, it is not treatable and they either live and become carriers or die. I hope it is not the case here.

Richard

#86676 - 12/30/07 05:11 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Deja Girl Offline
Chick

Loc: California
CJR, thank you for all your help, but despite our best efforts, Kona just didn't make it. I think it was too late for him, and he probably was too small and weak to survive by then. frown
We're all horribly upset about losing him, but life will go on...I guess. I don't think I'll have the heart to get another rooster for awhile though...too sad.

#86677 - 12/30/07 06:33 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I am so sorry. CJR

#86678 - 12/30/07 08:15 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Things like this happen to all of us. I lost my beautiful blue Araucana pullet a few weeks ago. By the time she started showed signs of being sick, it was too late. She lasted maybe three days.

#86679 - 12/30/07 08:37 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
That is a beautiful pullet, Rhea Dean; so sorry for the losses.

Chris

#86680 - 12/30/07 08:50 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Thanks, Chris. As luck would have it, she was the only blue Araucana I had with tufts.

#86681 - 12/30/07 11:55 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Dejagurl:

I am sorry about your rooster. It is frustrating to want to help and not know what to do.

I treat my animals homeopathically. (husband kid, horses and dogs too) One good remedy to keep on hand is ARSENICUM. If one of your birds is acting as if it might be poisoned, suffering neurological damage from something it ate, something possibly affecting its nervous system ,the brain or vision or co-ordination, ARSENICUM is a good remedy to try.

I have used it to treat coccidiosis sucessfully. Classic homeopaths would tell you to examine each symptom individually before deciding what remedy to use. But often with chickens you don't have a lot of time to hang around and figure out what the problem is. Or you CAN'T figure it out! So I keep this on hand as a multi-purpose remedy in the event of weird behaviour that is not obviously from an injury. At any rate it will not hurt your birds. It might be a good idea to keep in your chicken emergency kit for future reference.

#86682 - 12/31/07 07:11 AM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

This might be a good time for us to share what we have in our emergency/health kits. I think I'll start a thread.

BTW uno, where do you get this ARSENICUM and how does it come (what form: liquid, powder)? and how do you administer it?

#86683 - 12/31/07 09:02 AM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Fleta Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
no one wants to hear this but when I get a sick bird I destroy it for the health of the flock.
My experience is usually the sick bird dies any way and the longer it is with the flock the longer they are exposed to what ever is wrong.
I don't have money for vet bills so I act as soon as I realize the bird is sick.

#86684 - 12/31/07 10:18 AM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

I think there are several things going on here at once. Some people breed birds for ornamental & show. To get beautiful, one has to sacrifice something else, sometimes, say hardiness. If you are breeding for production/ utility, then yes, a different standard for culling. It is difficult to get production, show, immunity to everything and a good flight resposnse all in one bird. Is there such a bird?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2