Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#86665 - 12/28/07 06:17 PM Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Deja Girl Offline
Chick

Loc: California
My sister and I have a little pet bantam rooster, a Seabright named Kona, and something is horribly wrong with him. He looks like something is wrong with his neck and he can't stand up staight. I noticed him on the ground when I went to check on the chicken coop for the night. The scary thing is the same thing happened to an english/modern game bantam hen we had about two weeks ago. We thought she'd just fallen off the roost and broken her neck, and when she didn't get better we just had to put her down. Kona doesn't seem to be as bad off as she was, he can still hold his head up a little bit, but he's our favorite little pet and we're very worried about him. What's wrong? Is it a broken neck? Is it some kind of disease? We don't have any big chickens that could've beaten up on him, just bantams, and we take very good care of them. Please help!

#86666 - 12/28/07 06:39 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Deja Girl Offline
Chick

I've been looking over the diseases in the health related links and he seems to have the symptoms of botulism...except they're only supossed to get that when it's warm, and it's been very cold the last few days. Could he possibly still have that?

#86667 - 12/28/07 07:05 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Botulism poisoning is also called Limber Neck, as the bird cannot lift the head or neck. Without seeing the bird, it is not possible, except to guess!

But is it RED ALERT, requires immediate treatment. I am going to see if I can copy the
treatment from the SEARCH function at the top of the page. Meantime find a glass eyedropper !

#86668 - 12/28/07 07:10 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Deja Girl Offline
Chick

I looked up the treatment from the health related links and we've given him some water with epsom salt, he's pooped twice since then, and seems to be doing a little better.
We're going to give all the other chickens water with epsom salt too, in case they have it. Is this the right course of treatment?

#86669 - 12/28/07 07:16 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Here is the post:

Member # 7

posted August 04, 2004 10:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had perfect success with Epsom Salt Flush with 2 9-10 week old birds, but Damerow book says never to Flush chicks???? I used a glass eyedropper, so it went right into the crop and the pullets did not taste the Epsom Salts. (1t in 1/2 cup water). Just a small amount 2 or 3 times a day for two or three days. I did it three times a day for two days and recovery was good enough for just one more time the third day. Can't be more definitive without seeing the birds AND it could be something else! CJR

#86670 - 12/28/07 07:20 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Deja Girl Offline
Chick

thank you for your hope, we're doing the epsom salt flush and hopefully Kona will recover.

#86671 - 12/28/07 07:38 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

One more post: If there is any wet bedding in your coop or a collection of leaves, dead grass or other material in your pen, especially around the feeders or waters REMOVE IT ALL. This is where the botulism bacteria may be located. I would NOT treat any birds without symptoms. It will give them diarrhea--not nice for them or their pen. Good luck, CJR

#86672 - 12/28/07 07:59 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Deja Girl Offline
Chick

what is the survival rate if you do the epsom flush? (we have) And we did give all our other chickens some epsom salt, we didn't want to chance it as we've already had two get it. One of them was looking kind of listless so hopefully this will stop her from getting where Kona is.
Thank you for your help...now I just have to hope and pray that little kona gets better...about how much epsom salt fluid would you have to give a little seabright rooster? We gave him about an ounce of salt/water mix....

#86673 - 12/28/07 09:47 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Deja Girl Offline
Chick

kona seems to have taken a turn for the worse...he seems to be draining mucus from his mouth...did I give him too much epsom salt water or did it just not all go down? frown I really don't want my pet to die but I'm starting to lose hope. At least all the other chickens are doing fine.

#86674 - 12/29/07 09:32 AM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

An eyedropper full is enough for each treatment. I pulled the head and neck up, inserted the eyedropper down into the esophogus, so the liquid went directly into the crop.

If you gave him too much, and it is being pushed up out of the crop, you might put him upside down for a very quick drain, as you must not get any into the trachae.

Don't give up, even if he is pretty limp. Recovery can be pretty miraculous--let's hope so, for him! I lost two birds one year, birds that a friend was keeping for me--she didn't call and tell me they were acting strangely. I had 2 young pullets affected, described above, and a year later, another pullet. I saw that one at once, she had a quick recovery! I have not seen it before or since--it is not common at all.

Without treatment, it is fatal. Botulism is a poison (we must fear it ourselves, in home-canned goods, without a proper seal or bulgy canned meats or vegetables.) CJR

#86675 - 12/29/07 05:01 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Richard in MA Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
Have you researched Marek's? If your flock has not been vaccinated for it it could be the problem. Unfortunately, it is not treatable and they either live and become carriers or die. I hope it is not the case here.

Richard

#86676 - 12/30/07 05:11 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Deja Girl Offline
Chick

CJR, thank you for all your help, but despite our best efforts, Kona just didn't make it. I think it was too late for him, and he probably was too small and weak to survive by then. frown
We're all horribly upset about losing him, but life will go on...I guess. I don't think I'll have the heart to get another rooster for awhile though...too sad.

#86677 - 12/30/07 06:33 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

I am so sorry. CJR

#86678 - 12/30/07 08:15 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Things like this happen to all of us. I lost my beautiful blue Araucana pullet a few weeks ago. By the time she started showed signs of being sick, it was too late. She lasted maybe three days.

#86679 - 12/30/07 08:37 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
That is a beautiful pullet, Rhea Dean; so sorry for the losses.

Chris

#86680 - 12/30/07 08:50 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Thanks, Chris. As luck would have it, she was the only blue Araucana I had with tufts.

#86681 - 12/30/07 11:55 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Dejagurl:

I am sorry about your rooster. It is frustrating to want to help and not know what to do.

I treat my animals homeopathically. (husband kid, horses and dogs too) One good remedy to keep on hand is ARSENICUM. If one of your birds is acting as if it might be poisoned, suffering neurological damage from something it ate, something possibly affecting its nervous system ,the brain or vision or co-ordination, ARSENICUM is a good remedy to try.

I have used it to treat coccidiosis sucessfully. Classic homeopaths would tell you to examine each symptom individually before deciding what remedy to use. But often with chickens you don't have a lot of time to hang around and figure out what the problem is. Or you CAN'T figure it out! So I keep this on hand as a multi-purpose remedy in the event of weird behaviour that is not obviously from an injury. At any rate it will not hurt your birds. It might be a good idea to keep in your chicken emergency kit for future reference.

#86682 - 12/31/07 07:11 AM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

This might be a good time for us to share what we have in our emergency/health kits. I think I'll start a thread.

BTW uno, where do you get this ARSENICUM and how does it come (what form: liquid, powder)? and how do you administer it?

#86683 - 12/31/07 09:02 AM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Fleta Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
no one wants to hear this but when I get a sick bird I destroy it for the health of the flock.
My experience is usually the sick bird dies any way and the longer it is with the flock the longer they are exposed to what ever is wrong.
I don't have money for vet bills so I act as soon as I realize the bird is sick.

#86684 - 12/31/07 10:18 AM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

I think there are several things going on here at once. Some people breed birds for ornamental & show. To get beautiful, one has to sacrifice something else, sometimes, say hardiness. If you are breeding for production/ utility, then yes, a different standard for culling. It is difficult to get production, show, immunity to everything and a good flight resposnse all in one bird. Is there such a bird?

#86685 - 12/31/07 03:46 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Richard in MA Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
Hi Deja,

I am sorry to hear that you lost him. I would still recommend checking into the marek's potential. The disease usually manifests itself in neurological problems. Sebrights are especially succeptible and since it was the second one you lost this way it is still a possibility.

RIchard

#86686 - 12/31/07 06:24 PM Re: Help! Something is horribly wrong with our pet rooster!
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
cgmccary:

An emergency kit thread would be a fine idea. I will not list here what I keep in mine. I will wait for your thread. But ARSENICUM and most other homeopathic remedies (the common ones anyway) are available at most health food stores. Some drugstores carry them too.

Usually the remedy comes in little tablet or round pellets. These, two or three or four, are dissolved in a few teaspoons of water and a few drops given to your chicken. Easy! I have an old post somehwere explaining a multi-remedy cocktail that I mixed with a little whiskey (I think it was whiskey, it was the last of hubby's Crown Royal) and keep it at all times in the hen house. Being mixed in alcohol it doesn't go 'off'. I keep a few q-tips attached topthe little bottle with a rubber band and soak the end of the q-tip in the remedy and stick it in the chicken's mouth and let them chomp on it for a couple second. This delivers the remedy just fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2