Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#86715 - 12/11/07 08:00 PM Re: broken leg
Maureen Offline
New Egg

Loc: Massachusetts
Cage rest is important......we had very good results with a goose (heavy body). The x ray showed a break high in the pevis.....the vet said cage rest for for 2 weeks, with food, plenty of clean water and vitamins. Also use Arnica if you have access to homeopathic remedies. That was 6 years ago.....she's doing great, sounds like your girl has plenty of spirit and will do well with your help. Keep us posted. Good luck to you both.

#86716 - 12/13/07 12:31 PM Re: broken leg
Masufa Offline
Bantam

Loc: Oregon
Final Update. Well this morning when I got her out of the kennel for some exercise she stood right up and started walking just fine.
So I put her out with her outside and her 'best friend' who has seemed to have forgotten ever knowing her, she has only been gone for 4 days. Hopefully they will eventually become friends again.
thanks to everyone for all you help.
TO MAUREEN: what is Arnica?

Masufa

#86717 - 12/13/07 04:56 PM Re: broken leg
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
Good news! I am glad she is healing well, do keep a close eye and separate her quickly if she is suffering abuse from the other chickens.

If you do a search on Arnica in this forum you will find a post about head injury with hematoma...scroll down about midway and you will find the answer to your question!

I haven't used it and an not familiar except for what I have read here.

#86718 - 12/14/07 09:13 PM Re: broken leg
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
ARNICA is a homeopathically prepared remedy used for shock, soft tissue damage and bruising. ARNICA is also the name of the plant that the homeopathic remedy is made from. Around here, Heart Leaved Arnica grows wild. I would NEVER attempt to make my own remedy from it however. You can find this and other homeopathic remedies at health food stores and some drug stores. They come in little pills. Dissolve two or three in a teaspoon of water and give some drops to your chicken. Or add to drinking water for a day or two.

I use homeopathy on my animals and family. Just about two weeks ago hubby got creative with a utility knife and sliced his thumb to the bone, severing tendon and nerves and making huge groove in the bone itself. Plastic surgeon got his tendon together ,stitched him up and warned that the hack he left in his thumb bone was going to cause him some pain! I treated with homeopathy and hubby only took one painkiller and that was on the night (long day in emergency!) of the surgery. He is healing fine although thumb still immobilized for the next 6 weeks. How I hold up remains to be seen! In short, you can't go wrong with a few homeopathics in your chicken medicine chest.

Another note, I currently have a banty with what I think is a broken leg. I am not going to try and save her. She seems to have a lung infection also and looks utterly miserable. But if I were treating a bone that needed mending, ARNICA would not be my first choice. For broken bones get SYMPHYTUM, also know as bone knit. SYMPHYTUM and ARNICA would help with bruising and bone healing. ARNICA alone is not the exact remedy (in my opinion) for this situation, but won't hurt.

#86719 - 12/29/07 07:49 PM Re: broken leg
Anti-Birdatarian Offline
Bantam

Loc: Canada
Last year My Cock Pigeon Dale broke his leg,or the Dog broke Dale's leg.It would just hang down and he couldn't move it,so we took him to the vet and the Vet said that there was a break in the hip, and to just keep him in a cage for a few weeks away from exitement.I kept him in a cage for about 6 weeks until he started walking normaly again.And I totally agree with useing Arnica on her leg,it comes in oil form and Homeopathic pellets, we use both on our Animals and Family.Is she a Standard or Bantam hen??? If she is a Bantam I would give her 3 pellets once a day(but twice a day woudn't hurt,your call)and if she is a Standard I would give her 3 pellets twice a day,and rub Arnica oil directly on her leg. JULIA smile wink

#86720 - 04/21/08 11:19 AM Re: broken leg
Hulaflop Offline
Chick

I have a Sultan bantam chick (6 weeks old) that has a hurt leg at the knee joint. It's double the size of an uninjured joint and purple in color. She keeps stretching it out to the side when she's standing on the other leg. I seprated her from the other chicks. I am going to try the remedies that were posted. I tried wrapping it, but she just flopped around. I've had other bantams and never succeeded in bringing them back to health once they had an injured leg.

#86721 - 04/21/08 11:25 AM Re: broken leg
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
The correct term is bantam.

#86722 - 04/21/08 02:55 PM Re: broken leg
Hulaflop Offline
Chick

Didn't I say bantam? I'm not being smart, I don't know what you mean. Thanks, Amy

#86723 - 04/21/08 03:01 PM Re: broken leg
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
You said "banty." I corrected your post to make it correct.

#86724 - 04/21/08 03:04 PM Re: broken leg
Hulaflop Offline
Chick

Oh, okay, I noticed it said Bantam. Thanks for the correction. I hope this Sultan gets better, as I think it's a hen. I have two of them but the other is a rooster...I think. She usually keeps her leg out to the side of her when she lying down. And stretches it constantly when she decides to get up.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 81 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box