Topic Options
#86758 - 07/02/07 07:28 PM Bantam Hen with Fluid Filled Crop
Jordy Offline
Feather

Loc: California
I have a Black Cochin Bantam hen that is 6 years old and is great shape - beautiful feathers and all. She has begun laying again this summer.

It has been very hot here so I thought her breathing a little funny was a result of that.

However, I felt her crop today and I can feel seeds and such in it but it feels a little pendulous. I only have 1 chicken right now so I don't have any to compare her to.

She's active and moving about and insists on coming out of her coop to run around the yard.

However, today, she showed no signs of gasping until I lightly squeezed her crop. Then she started to gasp and act like fluid was in her throat. Her comb turned a bit bluish.

She is still gasping now but is acting normal and moving about. What do I do? Do I treat it like sour crop? If so, where do I get copper sulfate????

#86759 - 07/02/07 07:29 PM Re: Bantam Hen with Fluid Filled Crop
Jordy Offline
Feather

Oh and P.S. her breath does not stink

#86760 - 07/02/07 08:32 PM Re: Bantam Hen with Fluid Filled Crop
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Check her crop first thing in the morning, before she has eaten anything and see if it's empty. If it is, it's not likely to be a blockage. Your squeezing of the crop may just have pushed water back up her eusophagus. If you have feed and water available all the time, withold it overnight until you have checked her. Her crop should be flat and soft. If your weather has been hot, she will need adequate shade to shelter under since her black feathers will attract heat. You could try giving her a little Lactobacillius or acidophillius yoghurt to correct any bacteria imbalance. I have not heard of using copper sulphate for the treatment of sour crop, but if you decide she has that, you would need to be careful in your administration of it since it is pretty toxic and can destroy tissue, due to its caustic nature. It can also cause kidney failure and severe irritation of the intestinal tract. I'm sure there are better products available that would be safer to use.

#86761 - 07/06/07 06:51 PM Re: Bantam Hen with Fluid Filled Crop
Jordy Offline
Feather

Well I have been giving her heavy doses of probiotics... some of the stuff I had for my goats.

I was told by the Chicken Health Handbook that copper sulphate would treat sour crop, but I don't think that is a good idea. Any other suggestions for that?

I did the Epsom Salt drench and lots of probiotics. She's not gasping any more, still very active, eats well and lays every day. Her crop seems a bit better.... but I noticed a blue spot under her skin in her crop area. Is this something to worry about?

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2