Topic Options
#86894 - 05/31/07 10:37 AM silky fowl fading away fast (help)
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a 1 year old silky fowl that was lethargic yesterday, but today is really fading away fast. We think he is a male. When I picked him up some green/clear liquid came out of his mouth.

He was fine yesterday and eating. Now he has his head down and eyes closed. He is breathing heavy and making a sort of purring/rattling sound.

We are fairly new with chickens and totally new to silkies. Does anyone have any suggestions of what we shold do? Should we bring him in the house (it is not cold outside)?

Thanks for any help.
Ellyn

#86895 - 05/31/07 01:37 PM Re: silky fowl fading away fast (help)
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
I am so sorry, is your chicken still alive? I lost an Ameraucana hen last week with similar symptoms. Noticed nothing unusual the day before but by the next afternoon she was breathing heavy, gasping and could only walk a few paces before she would collapse. Horrified, I picked her up and a little clear yellowish fluid came out of her beak. I brought her inside, held her while trying to research what to do. She laid her head over my arm and died in my lap within 20 minutes. I did do a partial autopsy...found her crop filled with foul smelling mustard color liquid. Everything in her abdomen looked healthy, no egg problems. Any ideas??? confused Anyway..I hope some of the experts will offer some advice if your bird is still alive...I hope so!

#86896 - 05/31/07 03:38 PM Re: silky fowl fading away fast (help)
Anonymous
Unregistered

He is still alive. We have him inside in a covered basket. He seems to go up and down. He will have his head down sideways with eyes closed breathing very badly, and then 10 minutes later have his head up and look kind of okay. I dipped his beak in honey water and also a bit of applesauce and he did react a bit, but would not eat more. I don't smell anything strange.

We have a hen that was having some heavy breathing the last few weeks. Her comb and wattle which are normally red turned a bit purplish and droopy. She seems much better now though.

I'm in The Netherlands, just in case someone has heard of some local illness going around.

#86897 - 05/31/07 10:05 PM Re: silky fowl fading away fast (help)
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's amazing. He seems to be almost normal this morning. Late yesterday he was lying in the mud not moving and now he seem mostly okay. Very strange, but of course very nice.

#86898 - 06/01/07 10:10 AM Re: silky fowl fading away fast (help)
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
That is good news!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2