Topic Options
#86942 - 05/06/07 08:12 AM Egg Bound Girl!
Ellen Abraham Offline
New Egg

Loc: Vermont
She showed up yesterday with a swollen crop- she is usually the MOST active of the bunch. She was just fluffed up and reluctant to move. We massaged her crop down and gave her some yogurt which she ate. She's drinking and eating. Then this morning she was still not really moving around. Today, I felt inside her and she has an egg.I could feel along side of it but there is skin or muscle between my finger and the egg. I didn't press afraid of breaking it. We soaked her in a warm bath and massaged some olive oil inside and out- she is now inside on warm water bottles and she finally laid down and she is covered so it is dark- she hasn't laid down the whole time up until now. Is there anything else we can do for her? What should we expect? We will not feed her but give her water through the day. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Ellen

#86943 - 05/09/07 10:16 AM Re: Egg Bound Girl!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had an egg- bound duck before, and I flipped her upside down, used oil and worked the vent backward until the egg came out. I think they get exhausted, and can't lay the egg. Once it was out, she needed a rest, but did fine afterwards, although, the oil ended up maybe burning her skin and she got maggots which I then had to treat. So, maybe use a water soluble lubricant, like KY.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2