Topic Options
#86980 - 01/12/06 02:47 PM Chickens attacked, one injured
H. Cote Offline
Bantam

Loc: Massachusetts
One chicken was just attached by an unknown entity. The hen appeared to be dead. Lots of feathers everywhere. After several minutes she stood up. Her neck and torso are beat up but the only active bleeding (just drip drip) we can find is a "toe" - looks like the tip was bitten/pulled off with the toenail. We have her inside our house in a large container with hay, water and food. She seems ok.
Questions: 1. Should be leave her inside our house for the night or put her back in the henhouse with the other girls and
2. should we treat the bleeding toe with hydrogenperoxide, antibiotic ointment, etc. or leave it alone?
Heidi

#86981 - 01/12/06 04:06 PM Re: Chickens attacked, one injured
Boobear7 Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: North Carolina
Had a similar problem. See my topic: Cockeral attacked pullet (Emergency Room)
Some of it should help you.

Jessica

#86982 - 01/12/06 04:22 PM Re: Chickens attacked, one injured
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
If she were mine I would bandage the toe with some Neosporin and keep her inside for the night. If she looks good in the morning I would put her back to avoid peck order issues from a prolonged absence. Good luck.

Bill L

#86983 - 01/12/06 05:23 PM Re: Chickens attacked, one injured
H. Cote Offline
Bantam

Loc: Massachusetts
To Jessica & Bill,
We appreciate your quick response. Her bleeding "toe" stopped and we were able to see that it looks like it is just injured but the nail still there. She's very dirty and lots of feathers missing at her neck and bellyside. She was perky and responded to us. She ate and pooped. We carried her out to the hen house a little while ago where the timed light still had a 1/2 until it turned off. She went from my arms to a top roost next to another hen who pecked a little of the dirt off her feathers. We didn't put anything on the injured foot afraid it might start bleeding again. We'll watch for infection. We learned we cannot have them free range at dusk this time of year if we're not outside to supervise. My husband thinks it was a hawk that attacked.
Thanks again.
Heidi

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2