Topic Options
#86984 - 07/15/06 09:40 PM Lame duck - swollen joint
Rhova Offline
Chicken

Loc: Canada
One of my ducks came up lame a few days ago, so I put him in a smaller pen with company so he could be happy, but not hurt himself or be stressed. Well, he has gone from bad to worse frown I've checked him every day, his legs, joints, feet, pads, webbing, and today is the first sign of anything wrong other than just lame.

I could find no signs of swelling, until today. His foot joint, where the toes and webbing meet the leg, is mushy with fluid, its squishy and swollen but still mobile. He's dead lame on it.

I have no idea what to do! I have him isolated in a small pen with food and water, he can't move around much in there, and no one can bother him. I don't know whether to put him out of his misery, or give him antibiotics, or what. Help please! I am so worried he's going to be even worse tomorrow, and go beyond help.

#86985 - 07/25/06 05:57 PM Re: Lame duck - swollen joint
Rhova Offline
Chicken

Loc: Canada
Update: He's still dead lame, completely unable to put weight on his foot. I've got him on PenG, and aspirated bloody guck out from around the joint above where the toes and webbing come in and meet this morning but its back to being squishy this evening. He does seem better since I started him on PenG in attitude, but not in lameness. I've cleaned and soaked his foot, I can't see any signs of what looks like bumblefoot or an injury. Input on what could be going on would be most appreciated, he's a good duck and I was planning on using him for breeding next year, I really want him to make it!

#86986 - 07/25/06 08:55 PM Re: Lame duck - swollen joint
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
If the "bloody guck" looked infected the PenG is probably the best solution. Who knows how it started, possibly something so minor it wasn't even noticeable and then it just progressed. Give the PenG a few days to work, it's probably pretty sore and that will take some time to improve.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2