Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#87012 - 06/18/05 04:55 AM Re: Really bad wet cough
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Florida
Thanks. I am headed to the feed store this morn to get antibiotics for her water. Ugh! How frustrating! M

#87013 - 06/18/05 07:30 AM Re: Really bad wet cough
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Ok.....This is what I came home with. Oh, and by the way, one of my chicks has bloody stool this morn, and I am not sure who yet---
So, I have Sulmet for the drinking water. It says 'antibacterial' and is for the bloody stools.

I also bought 'terramycin' an antibiotic that is for the respiratory problem.

My big question is, can these 2 medications be administered to the sick chick together? Not mixed together. I mean, 2 seperate waterers with the different meds. I am not sure which one to start first. What is more deadly? The bloody stool or the cough???

#87014 - 06/18/05 08:24 AM Re: Really bad wet cough
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
maybe cjr has something there...the little guys seem like they are going downhill? how bloody is the stool..
ive never used sulmet, but have given the mycin to older birds.
there may be a warning on the label about making medicine coctails, if not check the manufacturers web site.

#87015 - 06/18/05 09:29 AM Re: Really bad wet cough
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I don't know..I've never mixed the drugs in different waterers and given them at the same time. The drugs, may not will, react to each other adversely. I'm not sure about that though. Have you tried consulting your vet? Usually they can give you a general idea what to do with the medicines. They may not know much about chickens though.

#87016 - 06/18/05 07:33 PM Re: Really bad wet cough
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

The birds themselves are doing really well. No one is acting funny--all cheeping and eating and drinking. I was gone all day and when I got home I could find no more bloody stool. Soooo, I am kind of at a stalemate until more symptoms arise. Until then, I am going to continue on the antibiotics which will hopefully clear up the coughing and sneezing. I will let you know what happens! m

#87017 - 06/19/05 04:13 AM Re: Really bad wet cough
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Shoofly

I understand your concern and desire to do all you can for these chicks. Take a deep breath and go slow. You will get confusing and contradicting information. This is because we all have had different experiences and none of us are professional avian vets and I agree that the feed store people don't know squat.
The medicated chick starter is good. As mentioned above, it is to help prevent cocci. No problem using it with the Terramycin. How are you mixing Terramycin? It should be about 3/4 tablespoon to a gallon of water. Since you have started it I would continue for at least 5 days. The yogurt will help their digestive tract during the medication. Like CJR said you can mix it with their starter ration. Once a day so each gets some.

How old are they? What are you using for litter? Where in the home are they being kept? Many things cause respiratory trouble in chickens. Molds are a big issue. I noticed you have A/C in your home. Thatís what I do for a living and can tell you that molds will invade that coil and become air born. Wet litter is a problem. Cleaning products in the air, candles and many other things can all cause trouble. Just changing environments from coming in and out can cause sneezing.

Bill L

#87018 - 06/19/05 03:42 PM Re: Really bad wet cough
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Okay, deep breath....Thanks for the reminder! Again, there was blood in the stool this morning, but as the day wears on, I cannot find any more of the red droppings. I have ruled out at least 3 of the chicks and I am systematically figuring out who is the culprit. The good news is that the cough is nearly gone. Sneezing too. Phew.

The chicks are about 2 months old...a combination of Americanas (3), cochins (4), and a Houdan and Sultan. The cage is a large wire cage--the litter is wood shavings but the cage is above the shavings tray. The a/c is fine--I check my filters often and it is a brand new house. I use all natural cleaning products and candles very very little. I think the coming in and out--(outside they are in a wire enclosure on the grass)--and I have turned the a/c up for them so that its not cold at all.

I am keeping them on the antibiotic and hoping for the best....M

#87019 - 06/20/05 05:32 AM Re: Really bad wet cough
Shoofly Offline
Flock Leader

Welllllll, everyone seems to be on the mend. No more bloody droppings and no more coughing. Yay! I will keep them on the antibiotics for another 4 days or so. Thanks for all of your help!

#87020 - 06/20/05 07:19 AM Re: Really bad wet cough
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
thats the way to end a trip to the coop emergency room...good news.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2