Topic Options
#87045 - 06/03/07 12:24 PM Goose lower beak bitten off by dog
Michele P. Offline
Chick

Loc: Florida
I am hoping someone can give me some advice. One of my dogs has bitten half of the front of the lower beak of one of our geese. I am just sickened by this. The dog gets along with our cats, rabbits and loves to spend time watching the chickens. The geese, however, annoy her with all their honking at her when she comes near their area (they area is fenced in with 6' chain link). She was laying 10 feet away from them, just watching them. The two African Geese came towards the gate and started honking at her. She went to about 2 feet away and started barking at them. I was outside on the porch and thought to myself that it wasn't an aggressive bark but more like she was talking back to them. The geese will put their beaks and head through the chain link and honk and she usually backs up as she is probably more frightened of them that they are of her. I decided to go diffuse the situation by going over there and calming her down and leading her away with a ball or frisbee. As I walked towards them, the one goose, lowered it's head and stuck head and neck through the fence towards me, all the while honking like crazy. And before I knew what happened, my dog charged the fence and then the goose ran to its pond. I saw blood on its beak. I got my husband over there and he confirmed my worst fear.

The goose's tongue was hanging off the broke side. My husband managed to put the tongue and it stayed up.

Any advice will be appreciated. By the way, we had just discussed this problem in the last couple of days and decided to put some rabbit wire on the lower 2 - 3 feet to avoid any "incidents". We both feel so bad that we didn't make that a priority.

Michele

#87046 - 06/03/07 02:00 PM Re: Goose lower beak bitten off by dog
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello Michele,

sorry, donīt have advice for your particular case (the missing beak), but I think I can give you some hope. Youīre not alone, donīt blame yourself! And a missing lower beak sounds like a rather "minor" injury to me, the goose should heal easily given the right treatment. I donīt want to give you wrong hope, but I think youīll make it, we have seen and cured far worse injuries in our birds. They are rather tough, this always surprises me;-)

Hereīs our story: from an antiautoritative(sp?) family where the mother went clucky again and didnīt want the dog anylonger we "inherited" a young dog. This dog has not only never experienced any training but is even "mis-trained". We underestimated the "work" that we had ahead of us and she has bitten one of our Pekins;-( She injured the bird real hard, with real hard I mean the head was actually open above and below the eye! We could look inside her head, at the vet we learned to clean her wound and got several meds for home-treatment, we nursed her back in just a couple of weeks. The back of the poor Pekin was also bitten open, and this wound also healed. It is unreal, I mean the hen looked like an actor of those cheap horror movies and could barely walk! There was blood everywhere and the swelling around her eye lasted for several days. The limping got better in about 1 month. This was a shocking experience for all of us, since we donīt fence off our birds from the dogs. But we have learned that weīre unable to handle "problem dogs";-( Need to add we have 6 dogs, and the other 5 leave our birds alone. They have learned this from birth on, so it never was an issue for them. They know the birds are NOT for playing, our newest dog didnīt know this, and we didnīt notice this;-( It didnīt happen right after when we got her, we did look out for this behaviour of course. But it happened totally unexpected several weeks after we got her. I still donīt understand it...

On a sideote the dog also tried this with our Brahmas. But the rooster stood still and waited until the dog approached while making cool warning-sounds. When the silly dog didnīt stop the rooster landed a perfect, fast and determined peck right at the dogīs nose! The dog jumped back 1 meter and has some kind of respect from the big birds since then.;-)

Hope you get some help for the missing beak and best greetings,

Joachim

#87047 - 06/03/07 03:09 PM Re: Goose lower beak bitten off by dog
Michele P. Offline
Chick

Loc: Florida
Thank you for your reply Joachim. Makes me feel a lot better. I have an update! The goose did not lose the complete left side of her beak. The front tip is still there. There is a bite taken out of the side of it.

My husband went to a house that we had seen in the area that had a yard full of geese and peacocks. He went, hoping to find someone that could advise us.

Luckily, they were outside and told him that this has happened to them before as their geese are not fenced in. They said that the goose should heal. She will just have a deformed beak.

They said that the geese are very adept at taking care of themselves and will adjust. As a matter of fact, I have seen her already make an adjustment. As horrible as it sounds, if her tongue slips to the side where the opening is, she will shake her head to get it back in. Only thing is now that I am thinking about it, I wonder if that means she has lost some control on the tongue? We did not see any injury to the tongue itself.

It is really sad that this particular dog is the one that did this deed. She is the dog that LOVES birds. Before we got our chickens, ducks and geese, she would lay out in the backyard and just watch the birds in the trees. We have a creek in the back and she would rather sit still and watch the egrets, blue herons, and wild ducks than try to chase them and make them fly away (There is a fence between her and the creek). When we got our chickens, she would lay by their pen and just study them. When they started to load up into their coop in the evening, she would herd the last remaining 5 or 6 hens by running around their fenced in pen until they all went upstairs. Then she would lay down next to their coop and just watch and listen.

Ten minutes before this happened, she had found a hawk feather and was playing with it. She brought it to me and I stuck it in her collar and showed it to her calling it an "outfit". She loves wearing outfits! She was so pleased, she gladly put her head through her collar to wear her "bird outfit". And then to think, ten minutes later, all that joy was gone, replaced by sadness.

I am hoping and praying that this goose makes a full recovery.

#87048 - 06/10/07 10:17 PM Re: Goose lower beak bitten off by dog
Samantha Offline
Chicken

Loc: Arizona
Hi there, One of my Ganders, a few years back, broke off the bean on his top beak. Blood all over the place. And like you, I was so scared and I cried and cried. The tip of his tounge hung out, and it was a cold and windy week. He kept his head tucked under his wing. I kept checking on him several times a day. One day after a week and a half he had had enough of me pestering him, and he pinched and twisted my skin. I was never so happy to have him pinch me, that told me his bean had growen back beautifully. Can't even tell it had been broke off. I wish you all the best. Samantha

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2