Topic Options
#87207 - 10/02/09 08:46 PM update on Bessie
Golden Chick Offline
Chick

Loc: Canada
this is my droopy leghorn that i posted about 2 days ago. CJR let me know it's called penguin(ing) that she's doing. well she's still doing it, but is still alive & eating & drinking. i actually thought she was perkier & maybe moving about better & had just let her be as no one was picking on her & i figured she was egg bound.

as she hasn't improved today I bit the bullet & got hold of her, not hard as she's very slow & docile. well to my surprise, her abdomen (below her breast bone) is huge, like so swollen that the feathers aren't covering it & it actually had a small tear in the skin (from being stretched?) although she seems to be eating nonstop her breastbone is sticking way out & i couldn't really feel her crop at all? i'm not to experienced, but i felt another hen to compare & could definately feel the crop, plus she was eating at the time, so it wouldn't be empty? she doesn't seem really skinny other than i can really feel & see that breastbone & even clearly feel the wishbone.

anymore input? i havent seen her poop, but would she still be eating like she is? she seems to be eating non stop. could it be worms? i have only had them for a couple months and haven't wormed them, i haven't seen any worms in their poop either. my only other clue is that she seems to have some round black scabs on her comb that no one else has.

thanks everyone!

#87208 - 10/02/09 09:36 PM Re: update on Bessie
Eric19 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
Well if she's in the "penguin" position I would assume egg bound. Maybe somebody can go into details with you on this.

Good Luck!!

#87209 - 10/02/09 09:45 PM Re: update on Bessie
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

About breast bones...they usually do stick out. Even in a normal weight, healthy layers, the breast bone is fairly prominent. Not so much on those porker meat birds. But regular chickens don't have huge breasts, so the bone is detectable with your hand. The trick is the weight. A healthy, regular size laying hen is a pretty solid weight 5 pounds and up, normally. If the breast bone is prominent but the bird feels hefty, then she is probably NOT starving from being crop bound. IF she is LIGHT, and her breast bone sticks way out, then suspect starvation for some reason. (Leghorns will be a little lighter as they are a smaller bird)

It's important for you to handle birds when you first get them, and handle them regularly so you can notice any changes.

HOw old are these birds? As layers get older they often get these big, floppy bellies. They should not be so big the skin is tearing! Sometimes the bellies feel like a water balloon. I have one old hen that waddles, and she is not egg bound, she is just old and terribly fat. Years of making eggs has left her a little pot bellied.

Some people say not to worm your birds until you see signs of worms, as in you see worms in their poop. I feel by the time they are so full of worms they are pooping them out, you have been too slow with the wormer! Worm if you would like, but worming a sick bird might finish her off.

Sorry I have no more wisdom for you. Good luck.

#87210 - 10/02/09 09:46 PM Re: update on Bessie
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Another worse problem is internal laying, which could explain the enlarged abdomen and no egg appearing. There is no help for this, as the egg does a reverse peristalsis and ends up in the abdominal cavity, with no outlet. There can be several eggs that you might be able to feel, but this is only one more guess. In any case, just keep her comfortable and away from other hens that would savage her. Not a good outlook. It is hard to accept. But with the billions of hens in the world laying eggs every day, some abnormal things happen--hard to know "why mine?" CJR

#87211 - 10/04/09 06:06 PM Re: update on Bessie
Golden Chick Offline
Chick

Thanks everyone. Bessie died this am.

Uno, i compared her B bone to the other birds & it was really really sticking out. Her weight seemed fine & she was eating & drinking no problem. Her belly wasn't floppy, I would say it was swollen & hard, but I didn't palpate it as I was afraid to injure her. She was about 20m? I just got her a couple months ago.

CJR, thanks for the info. I am working up the courage to do a necropsy as I am curious. If she was a person I would say congestive heart failure, but then we don't lay eggs. I did have someone laying shelless eggs, so? Anyways if I do one tomorrow I will let you know if I find anything.

Thanks again everyone!

#87212 - 10/05/09 11:29 AM Re: update on Bessie
Eric19 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
I'm so sorry to hear about Bessie passing away! But you tried and that's all that matters.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2