Topic Options
#87230 - 09/29/09 10:02 PM Droopy Leghorn
Golden Chick Offline
Chick

Loc: Canada
Today I noticed one of my Leghorn hens is very droopy. She is walking with her tail down (like a duck or dog when it's in trouble), waddling. It looks very strange, not moving fast. If I hadn't walked into the coop and flushed her out, she probably wouldn't have moved at all. I put some grain right in front of her, and she ate some. Yesterday when I was out there, I noticed someone "talking" with a hoarse sounding voice. This could be the same bird.

I just read the thread on the rooster, so I will check her over tomorrow for crop and injuries; but does this bring anything to mind for you? I'm quite worried. If it's the same bird, she's going downhill fast, and i'm just about to combine my two coops for the winter and process some of these Leghorns. I don't want to be introducing anything contagious or processing sick birds.

Tia

#87231 - 09/29/09 10:27 PM Re: Droopy Leghorn
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
No,. penguin walk with a hen most often means EGG problem, Eggbound, see Search function at top of the coop for possible help.
Or waiting to pass a soft shelled egg--takes a long time,is painful and if it breaks inside, she will likely die of infection. If she passes it successfully, it will be devoured, but leaves the rubbery "shell", and then she will feel just fine until the next softshell comes down the canal.

Handle her CAREFULLY. Good luck, CJR

#87232 - 09/29/09 11:07 PM Re: Droopy Leghorn
Golden Chick Offline
Chick

Loc: Canada
Thanks a lot, CJR. I do have someone laying softshells, so that could quite well be it. Terrible for her, but at least not contagious. She doesn't have the closed or 1/2 closed eyes others have talked about being a sign of pain, and I am sure I would have noticed this had it happened before. I will check her over very carefully tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2