Topic Options
#87263 - 11/14/06 06:54 PM limping chicken
Atwigg Offline
New Egg

Loc: California
I have a 5 month old barred rock that started limping yesterday. Today the limping is worse, the leg is warmer to the touch than the other leg. And the eye on the same side has a smaller pupil (oval shaped). Have checked her foot for cuts or scraps and there is nothing. Foot is not swollen. Should I try some anti-biotics or could this be a sprain ?

#87264 - 11/14/06 07:51 PM Re: limping chicken
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
"Trying" antibiotics can be worse than nothing at all. Use of antibiotics without diagnosis is leading to commonly cureable problems being resistant to the antibiotics that used to cure them.

If it is a sprain (rare), it will get better with rest and time. Limping is a first symptom of of Marek's Disease, there is no treatment or cure-and gradually the bird will lose use of wings and the other leg, as they become paralyzed. Grey eye color may be another symptom.

Hope it is not Marek's, but hold the antibiotics unless there is symptom of other treatable infection.

Good luck, CJR

#87265 - 11/15/06 01:22 PM Re: limping chicken
Atwigg Offline
New Egg

Thanks for your reply..if it Marek's Disease how long does it take to paralyze a bird ? She is still limping today but eating and drinking...no sign of the grey eye.

#87266 - 11/15/06 04:14 PM Re: limping chicken
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

A few days to a few weeks, but usually not very long. On leg, one wing or the other leg then wings. There is no real pain, just can't use the leg, they eat and drink and feel cheerful and optimistic, right up until they slip away.

Let's hope it is NOT Marek's, but the limping, without visible or known injury, is the first symptom and reason to worry. A few birds recover, but are then always carriers of the virus. CJR

#87267 - 11/15/06 04:49 PM Re: limping chicken
Atwigg Offline
New Egg

Thanks again !! Guess there is not much to do but wait and see. I have read that you can vaccinate for this; but only if they show no signs of the disease. Checked @ the local feed store and they had never heard of it. The nearest poultry vet is 2+ hours away.Thanks again for the information.

#87268 - 11/15/06 06:20 PM Re: limping chicken
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Vaccination must be done at hatch and present vaccines have no affect later, although some people do give boosters after a year.

My Vets do not carry the vaccine, nor do their catalogs list it. There are several sources on line. It is freeze dried, and I keep some in my fridge at all times and every chick hatched is vaccinated as soon as possible. There is LOTS of information about Marek's Disease on the Search Function at the top of the page.

Let's hope your bird revcovers soon. CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2