Topic Options
#87280 - 06/21/05 10:13 AM Silkie attacked & we need help
Silkie Mutt Offline
Feather

Loc: Oregon
I've read the archives on puncture wounds and infections. I have a friend with a two year old white Silkie hen who was attached by a raccoon. Two deep puncture wounds and possible a punctured lung. The hens breathing is a little nosey. The attack happened two days ago. The hen is alert, drinking and eating. The wounds were cleaned with alcohol and an abundant amount of antibiotic was applied to the two wounds. She was give some electrolytes and 1 aspirin for pain.

Today the hen's skin has started smelling as if it were rotting and I'm assuming it is infected.

Here are the medicines I have on hand Terramycin soluble powder, hydrogen peroxide, and Merthiolate tincture.

How should I proceed? I'm assuming I should start her on the Terramycin. Should we flush the wound with diluted Merthiolate or full strength Hydrogen Peroxide? My friend is bring the hen over to my place in an hour.

We would appreciate any help you can give us.

#87281 - 06/21/05 12:07 PM Re: Silkie attacked & we need help
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Deep puncture wounds, especially from animal bites will seldom respond to topical treatment, unless you can keep them from healing at the outside, Injection of antibiotics (prescribed by AVIAn VET)is the important treatment and--should be given as soon as possible after the bite. The antibiotics being given orally, and antiseptics applied topically, are unlikely to protect her from deep infection--that will take her life. We always have hope--CJR

#87282 - 06/21/05 01:39 PM Re: Silkie attacked & we need help
Silkie Mutt Offline
Feather

Loc: Oregon
We just returned from the feed store where they gave us some Penicillin. We were told to put one half cc in the hens eye every day for 5 days. After 3 days there should be improvement.

We were told that putting it in her eye would get the penicillin into her system as fast as an injection.

It sounds strange but we did it. Have you heard of this type of application?

#87283 - 06/21/05 01:45 PM Re: Silkie attacked & we need help
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
No--CJR, but we learn new things every day??

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2