Topic Options
#87348 - 01/05/08 02:50 PM Roosters top beak is broken and will not stop Bleeding
T. Gaudette Offline
Chick

Loc: Wisconsin
I don't know what happened I let the chickens out into the yard and I went to the coop and there was blood on the ground.in a number of places. I checked all the chickens and found the rooster was bleeding I brought him in and had a rag on his beak for at least an hour now and it has not stoped. I don't know what to do. The rooster is about 6 months old. I had just brought 2 other roosters into the hen house so I don't know if that was the problem/ a fight. I just need to stop the bleeding Please help. confused Theresa

#87349 - 01/05/08 03:32 PM Re: Roosters top beak is broken and will not stop Bleeding
T. Gaudette Offline
Chick

I tryed super glue and could not get it to stick to beck. I thought it could poison him also. I put him out with the other hens and I hope that they don,t hurt him any more.
The other post for a couple of days ago update
My other chicken from laying egg to young is out there now too. and they are shunning her. she is sitting in the nest box just to stay away from them meanies. They do attack her when she gets down, I just did not want her in the bathroom anymore. Please can anyone help with the beck?

#87350 - 01/05/08 04:57 PM Re: Roosters top beak is broken and will not stop Bleeding
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
If it is still bleeding, try some flour. Flour is not going to make him sick and will stop bleeding. Next, where is his beak broken, near the tip, near the nostrils...say more?

#87351 - 01/05/08 05:59 PM Re: Roosters top beak is broken and will not stop Bleeding
T. Gaudette Offline
Chick

Sorry!
The beck is broken on the tip. I thought it was weird because they trim becks back farther back then were it is broken.
I will go out and try the floar right now, it was still dripping. shocked

#87352 - 01/06/08 04:12 AM Re: Roosters top beak is broken and will not stop Bleeding
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

The flour will still work now. If it is not bleeding a lot, you might not need the flour. When they trim the beak, they burn the remaining tissue to seal it so it does not bleed. He is bleeding because the horn is broken and the blood supply to his jaw is damaged. It will heal. The beak is his jaws, covered in horn and without teeth.

#87353 - 01/06/08 08:15 AM Re: Roosters top beak is broken and will not stop Bleeding
T. Gaudette Offline
Chick

The beck looks sore and it looks like he put dirt on it also it may be old blood .
Thank you Jocelyn laugh I am so thankful you are there. I feel like an idiot most times but you make it easy to ask ? and explain everything so well Thank you for being there.Theresa

#87354 - 01/07/08 03:22 AM Re: Roosters top beak is broken and will not stop Bleeding
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

You are welcome Dear. Everybody starts with a little knowledge, and needs to ask to get more knowledge. Go right ahead; that is what the Coop is for.

#87355 - 01/10/08 03:25 PM Re: Roosters top beak is broken and will not stop Bleeding
Heart Dog Offline
Chick

Loc: New York
Cayenne pepper works great for stopping bleeding. It clots blood when used externally and thins the blood when taken internally.
Hope your roo is doing better!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2