Topic Options
#87356 - 07/23/06 08:11 PM Rhubarb
Jim Talbot Offline
Feather

Loc: Canada
It has been so hot here that I let my pullets out and they went for the shade of the Rhubarb. Now I notice that they have been eating the leaves and I know that it is poisonous to humans and some other livestock.
Anyone know if it is harmful to chickens????

#87357 - 07/24/06 04:22 AM Re: Rhubarb
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Mine eat a small amount of rhubarb leaves. I think small amounts are OK, but don't let them get too much...as it is poisonous, as you already said. Make sure they have constant water too, if they are eating it.

#87358 - 07/24/06 07:19 AM Re: Rhubarb
Jim Talbot Offline
Feather

Thanks Jocelyn.
As long as it doesn't effect them or their eggs, like plants of the Mustard family do.
I found out from my feed suppliers in house Pharmacist, that brown layers don't produce a certain enzime that white layers do and when they eat any mustard plant, the brown eggs get a fishy smell in them but not the whites.

#87359 - 07/24/06 08:58 AM Re: Rhubarb
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really don't know, but here's a link I found that might help:

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant09.htm

#87360 - 07/25/06 05:45 AM Re: Rhubarb
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

The eggs here taste OK, and I have brown layers, one white layer and many green and blue egg layers. As long as there is other greenery available, hens don't eat all that much rhubarb. Daylilies, hemerocallas, can impart a strong lemon flavour to eggs. They are reputed also to be poisonous, but I find individual plants are grazed heavily and others not eaten...so it must vary by cultivar. Nobody eats the orange ones by the side of the house, but the cats and hens all eat the citrina one by the walk near the clothesline. The ruffled mellon coloured one in the rock grden, and its pod parent by the mailbox are also delicious. Guess I just have discriminating hens and kitties.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2