Topic Options
#87477 - 03/07/08 12:23 PM Limp Neck!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a friend who is part of NCPoultry2(a NC Yahoo poultry forum) and she has 2-3 week old Sultan chicks. All of the chicks seemed healthy, until the other day.

One chick can't seem to hold his head and neck up. The head seems to drag the floor, and the other chicks began to pick on it. She removed it to it's own cage, to avoid the picking. What is going on and is there anything she can do?

#87478 - 03/07/08 04:31 PM Re: Limp Neck!
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
IF IT IS "Limberneck,---Botulism poisoning,-- it is a Red Alert, immediate treatment.

Epsom salts crop flush-(1 t in a half cup of water)=-=pretty ticklish for a 2-3 week old chick. I have done it, and successfully with pullets, about 2-3 months old.

Glass eyedropper (actually, for such a young chick, just plain water might be best), a teaspoonful, maybe 1 1/2 t. would be a guess for amount for such young chicks? If it dilutes the poison sufficiently, the little one will recover.) It must be placed gently, well down the throat to miss the trachea. Twice one day, once for another day or two.

Remove any wet bedding, wet and possibly spoiled feed in the brooder!!!!Under the heat-light, it spoils quickly. Fresh feed! Clean bedding or paper bedding!.

Good luck, CJR

There is more about Botulism in the SEARCh function.

#87479 - 03/07/08 04:31 PM Re: Limp Neck!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Sounds like botulism...that's a symptom of Clostridum botulinum poisoning. Are the feathers relatively easy to pull out of the chick?

Where is she keeping her feed for the birds?

The only think I can think of is to hold the head up with feathers and let it eat and drink every few hours. If it is botulism, feedings like this can keep it alive until the toxin has left the system. Usually the birds make a full recovery, but it is hard on their systems...

#87480 - 03/07/08 04:34 PM Re: Limp Neck!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, thanks! I will let them know your suggestions. Right now, the wife has "adopted" the chick and is feeding it soft food and whatnot.

-Kim

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2