Topic Options
#87536 - 06/20/07 08:36 AM Pearl is limping
Jenny's Girls Offline
Feather

Loc: Indiana
I was just reading about Mareks disease to see if that is the reason for Pearl my white rock hen to be limping. I still don't know the answer. Pearl also has a bad sore under her wing the same side that she is limping. It is so bad that I could put my finger down inside it. I have been spraying it with idodine to help fight of infection. She eats, drinks and moves around slowly with the rest of the flock. She seems completely fine apart from the limp but the sore place is getting worse. I have contemplated putting her to rest as I hate to see her suffer but I really hate to if she can recover from this. So my questions are, is this really Mareks disease or is this something completely different. Please advise. Thank you.

#87537 - 06/20/07 08:54 AM Re: Pearl is limping
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Marek's Disease has several forms, and tumors, internal or external, is another form,besides the gradual paralysis.(And there are others.) We cannot tell you without knowing more or seeing the bird--and still it takes a blood test to KNOW for SURE. How long has she been limping? Do you have other birds? She is not completely fine if she has any problems. You are just seeing specific symptoms of infection that may be wracking her body. Iodine is pretty strong for chicken wounds or open sores and can be making it harder to heal, Hydrogen Peroxide would be a better choice, followed by an antibiotic powder or cream (according to "Chicken Health Book"). Wish I could be more helpful. Chickens are very stoic and do not want us, or especially other penmates, to know they are not feeling well-until it is very late to do anything to help. That is worse case scenario--It is so hard to see our bird-friends suffer. I hope she can recover. CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2