Topic Options
#87538 - 03/14/06 11:03 PM Lost all but one so far
Anonymous
Unregistered

Had chicks hatch on 7th March. All healthy and lively. 2 days ago found one a bit wobbly, dead next morning. Lost 2 last night and 2 more this afternoon don't look like they will make it. Being raised by a broody that has had 3 other hatches this year for me with no trouble.

They seem to just give up. Very weak and uncoordinated. Terribly sad to see. I don't have any idea what it could be, they were such healthy, active chicks.

Had a look about Mareks and from what I could find the earliest that it would show would be 6 weeks and these chicks are dying fast. Even the broody seems worried.

Any feed back would be great even though there will only be one left by morning. Hope it makes it.

#87539 - 03/15/06 01:18 PM Re: Lost all but one so far
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think all my problems have been mite related. Lost the last one this morning. I dusted the broody while she was sitting and eprinex all my chickens reguarly, but I noticed this last chick was covered in the nasty little critters. Could this have been the problem?

I am going to go through it all this weekend!!! Nasty little things won't mess with my chickens again.

#87540 - 03/15/06 01:21 PM Re: Lost all but one so far
Anonymous
Unregistered

ah yes, could very well be an issue. Like other domestic animals, most mites/lice/fleas/ticks are parasitic and feed off the blood of the host. Could very well have caused the fadeaway on your babies.

So sorry on the loss though.....never easy to watch.

~Mel

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2