Topic Options
#87547 - 06/01/05 08:37 PM Large Open Wound on Black Australorp
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,
I have a hen about 2 months old who was attacked by a dog which bit off some of her feathers and skin on the top side of her head 3 days ago. The wound is a large gaping wound with no skin about 3 inches long going down the top of her head and neck. (The dog got most of our small flock and we only have 3 hens left.) We have not separated her from her only two friends, and have kept them all in the coop until we can fix the fence. Anyway, they are all still alive after 3 days and seem to be coming out of shock. Should I be doing anything to the open wound? The hen is walking around more than before, however I am worried about infection setting in. Will it grow new skin?

#87548 - 06/02/05 06:53 AM Re: Large Open Wound on Black Australorp
Rack Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Virginia
I had something similar happen. She had no skin on top of her head and you could see into her brain. We put bagbalm on it a couple times. She never acted really hurt. We separated her and her skin and feathers grew back. It took some time and the others wanted to get her so we kept her separated. She very quickly seemed better than she was before. Although we didn't reintroduce her back/the others kept wanting to attach her. She just got spoiled from us. Watch for eating, drinking...

#87549 - 06/02/05 07:15 AM Re: Large Open Wound on Black Australorp
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
darn dogs take more chickens than anything.

the skin will grow back, maybe some feathers.

if its bloody, red, scabby etc the other chickens will begin to pick at it and the picking will escalate. i would have cleaned out the wound, disinfected it and sewn it shut. right now though you should keep her in a seperate pen with food, water, dark...and keep an eye on the wound, because flys like to lay maggots in wounds like that. if you dont sew it shut, you could smear some bagbalm in it like rack said.

#87550 - 06/02/05 07:01 PM Re: Large Open Wound on Black Australorp
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you. I didn't do anything because I didn't actually expect her to live. After seeing 19 chickens dead, I didn't expect her to live through the night. I'm not yet good at catching these birds and didn't want to traumatize her any further. She is not eating or drinking really well, but she follows the other two around the coop. Could they lead her to eat and drink? I can't sew it shut as there is not enough skin, but I will find some bagbalm to put on it. It has scabbed, but the others are not picking it (yet?). She certainly has surprised me. Thank you for responding. I will watch out for maggots. UGH...

#87551 - 06/04/05 07:00 AM Re: Large Open Wound on Black Australorp
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
If it's dry and not weepy, it won't get maggots. Bag balm also disguises the smell, so flies are not attracted to it. An open wond has a smell that flies know means they can lay eggs there.

#87552 - 06/04/05 09:39 AM Re: Large Open Wound on Black Australorp
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
there is always enough skin as it s t r e t c h e s.. but it is late for that.
it sounds like she will be fine.
still i would put her in a seperate area as the other two will likely find that large red crusty wound interesting to peck at. make sure she has, water, food, darkness and- no dogs allowed.

far as catching chickens...if they are skittish, wait until they roost at night then they are easy to go pick up.
its great that you dont sound angry with the dog...even after it killed 90+% of your flock.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2