Topic Options
#87567 - 01/04/08 07:48 PM Torn/cut wattle and earlobe
Jen Hilla Offline
Chick

Loc: Michigan
I have a 6 month old orpington with what appears to be a cut earlobe and wattle. I don't know how this happend but I am assuming one of the other chickens may have done this to her. It has snowed a lot here and they have spent a lot of time in their coop (There are four) I have washed it out and applied antibacterial ointment but the cut is quite deep and I fear the other chickens may be pecking at the wound. She is still eating/drinking/laying. Can I suture this myself? I am able to get ahold of suturing material and feel comfortable trying this. Do I need to worry that this is an old wound? (It is still bleeding a bit) What else can/should I do? Does she need antibiotics? Any reply is very much appreciated. I am a bit new to the chicken owning business! She is such a nice chicken, I hate to see her uncomfortable. Thanks!!!

#87568 - 01/04/08 08:23 PM Re: Torn/cut wattle and earlobe
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
Cleaning it daily and the antibacterial ointment should be sufficient. The other chickens may peck at her wound so I'd keep an eye on it & on her. It may be necessary to separate her from them for a couple of days.

Others may feel differently, but I wouldn't suture it.

#87569 - 01/05/08 01:06 AM Re: Torn/cut wattle and earlobe
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
I would certainly separate her until the wound has healed. If the other chooks are pecking it, it will never heal, and what's worse it will get your hens started on what can be a very nasty habit that is hard to break.

#87570 - 01/05/08 04:41 AM Re: Torn/cut wattle and earlobe
Jen Hilla Offline
Chick

Thanks!

#87571 - 01/05/08 10:43 AM Re: Torn/cut wattle and earlobe
Eric19 Offline
Coop Cleaner

What Corona Ointment??? I think that would heal it faster. You can find it at TSC, if you have one near you.

#87572 - 01/05/08 04:35 PM Re: Torn/cut wattle and earlobe
Jen Hilla Offline
Chick

I noticed that it seems to be a bit swollen. It is not bleeding and is starting to scab. There isn't any discharge but it is definately bigger than the other side. Do you think antibiotics are neccessary? If so, can I get them at a feed store or will I need to see a vet (The vet's I called around here have very little or no experience with chickens) I will try the corona ointment as well. Thanks!

#87573 - 01/08/08 07:41 PM Re: Torn/cut wattle and earlobe
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
I think Corona ointment is a sticky ointment used on the udders of milk cows & goats. It probably wouldn't hurt to use it.

You can usually get triple antibiotic ointment in any grocery or drug store and could use that if you feel it is necessary.

It should heal very quickly and may already be much better.

Karen

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2