Topic Options
#87585 - 03/14/08 05:22 PM bantam cockerel breathing funny
SAJ Feathers Offline
Feather

Loc: Indiana
Hi, I posted on here the other day about another problem with aggression amonst my roosters, and now I have a new problem. I guess problems really do come in twos. :rolleyes:

So anyway, the problem is I went out to put the chickens up and found my little bantam cockerel his name is Harry (he's about 6 months or so) behind the fence near the creek. I walked closer to him and oddly he didn't make a move or startle and he usually does since he's not really tame. So thinking something must be wrong I looked closer and he seemed to be breathing from the side of his neck. It's kind of hard to describe, but instead of moving up and down as chickens do when they breath, his neck would bulge a little. I caught him and upon further inspection I saw a little foaming around his beak. And he's not walking too well, as he was easy to catch.

I can't find a mark or bite on him, and he flies pretty well, so I don't think it's likely that he hurt his neck or leg flying over the short fence. But does this possibly sound like the start of Marek's confused Could the sideways bulge be from a developing tumor?

I hope it isn't but he was born in my flock this past summer and was never vaccinated. I put Harry in the coop and he ate some of the grain I gave him. If You've had similar experience or are pretty sure of what this sounds like, please let me know.

p.s. My other question from yesterday (3/13) is under Poultry Miscellaneous, the topic is RIR rooster chased by bantam.
I would also like to thank all of you who take the time to moderate this board and all of you who visit this site and post answers or questions. I've learned a lot from this and as a result I sometimes am able to help out other people with similar questions.

Thanks, Sadie

#87586 - 03/14/08 05:57 PM Re: bantam cockerel breathing funny
J. Meyer Offline
Chicken

Loc: South Dakota
Sounds to me that he may have ruptured his trachea. We sometimes see this in victims of car accidents (I work on an ambulance crew). In humans, it's life threatening, but I don't know in poultry.

It's quite normal for bantams to chase standard size roosters. The bantams are so much quicker and they don't get tired as quick, so they usually win fignts with their much bigger foes.

#87587 - 03/14/08 06:54 PM Re: bantam cockerel breathing funny
SAJ Feathers Offline
Feather

Thank you for your quick reply. I will try to learn about a ruptured trachea in chickens. I did have a hen once that seemed to have broken her neck after she tried to fly over a stack of cinderblocks. Fortunately she died quickly so there wasn't much pain. But I don't know what, if anything, I can do about that. I don't want him to suffer for several weeks before dying, but I don't want him to die even more.

And yeah, I thought about that; and I remember that a few months ago that big rooster kind of lost a fight with a bantam cockerel (I thought he just really didn't want to fight and was walking away). The RIR rooster is about 3 years old now, and he's always been kind of passive. He probably learned it's not worth it to fight back after he lost that fight.

However, I think maybe the discoloration in his comb is due to frostbite. Does anyone know where I can find pictures of what frostbite looks like on chickens? And what is the treatment?

#87588 - 03/14/08 08:36 PM Re: bantam cockerel breathing funny
J. Meyer Offline
Chicken

Loc: South Dakota
I am not sure if there is anything that can be done for a ruptured trachea. I would isolate the bird and hope it heals on its own.

As to frostbite---Leave it alone. There is nothing that can be done for it. The comb will naturally die off and he will lose the part that was frozen. I live in South Dakota, and it's rare for any rooster to not get frostbite on his comb. It is cosmetic only, and doesn't affect the bird in any way.

#87589 - 03/17/08 02:37 PM Re: bantam cockerel breathing funny
SAJ Feathers Offline
Feather

Hi everyone, and Happy St. Patrick's Day - if you celebrate it.

Since, there is confusion in the other post, about the RIR. I just wnated to clear something up. I do not condone nor allow fighting amongst the roosters in my flock. Nor do I have or want anything to do with cock fighting. I'm a huge animal lover.
However, I do have a mixed flock, and I do realize that cockerels/roosters get into fights/spats. I never allow it to get bad and I always do whatever I can to stop it. Like now, I have been putting the big rooster in a secure cage I made for him in the coop and I let him out in the morning under my watchful eye so the bantam can't attack him.

Fortunately, there arnen't usually problems amongst the roosters since they have a well established pecking order and most do not try to test it, but rather keep to themselves and "their" hens. The RIR does exactly that.

However, as I explained in another post I only have 1 chicken coop and it is the only building that there is to put all chickens in at night so that they are safe from predators.
I don't know of anyone who would take/buy full-grown mixed breed bantam roosters or big older roosters, believe me, I would get rid of some of them if I had any offers. And I'm not eating them - for some people it's just out of the question for them.
I enjoy watching them interact (most of the time) and many of them are pets.

Sorry, for the confusion and sorry if I shouldn't post this here. I just wanted to clear that up in case someone else finds this and responds in a concerned way about the "fighting."

#87590 - 03/17/08 02:55 PM Re: bantam cockerel breathing funny
SAJ Feathers Offline
Feather

About The Injured/Sick Bantam:

That post above was a little long, so I figured I should post this info in another one. I have been taking care of the young bantam all weekend and this afternoon he died. On Saturday I realized that he wasn't injured but was infact sick with some type of upper respiratory disease.

I have been trying to decide what he is sick with. So here are the few things i'm sure about and the websites I've been to to try and diagnose it. If you have any input or are pretty sure you think you know what it is let me know:

*I'm sure it was respiratory since he had nasal discharge was kind of rattling and his neck was a little limp and hung to the side. His breathing was odd as it seemed to come from the side as I said above. His wings drooped and he went outside Saturday and Sunday and walked around but he slowed down considerably and didn't move too fast or run when I walked up to him. He had also lost weight.

*His symptoms came on very fast, a few days before I first noticed his breathing he appeared fine -was roosting up high and looked/sounded heatlthy.
*None of the other chickens are showing any signs of similar symptoms that tells me it is either slow spreading or not very contagious. (but if I am wrong about this I need to find out)
*I am having trouble deciding what it is because all the symptoms of the respiratory disease sound nearly the same
*I have been to the Mississippi State University Poultry website and looked at both viral and bacterial diseases - I'm sure this is a viral disease. I have also been to the Merck Veterinary Manual website.

I have narrowed it down to: *Infectious Laryngotracheitis or Newcastle Disease.
*Let me know what you think. Thanks for the other replies.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2