Topic Options
#87591 - 11/10/05 05:08 PM weird deaths!
Jim Offline
Chicken

Loc: Oklahoma
okay, here goes.
bantam rir's, pen with three birds, 1 cockeral, and 2 pullets. fed about 6:00 pm, went out about 6:45 to have a look and 2 birds were down. both were laying on their side and trying to walk. cockeral was realy making circles, pullet was just kicking a little bit. neither bird seemed to have been injuered in anyway, [i do have cats in the area]. crops were not full, water is fresh everyday. 3rd bird is in quarrintine right now. first 2 are euthenized, 3rd seems to be alright for now.

any one got any ideas?

#87592 - 11/11/05 04:36 AM Re: weird deaths!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to hear Jim - still a newie myself - maybe stress do you use garden pesticieds i.e snail repelents - did they eat any - really no idea - Me now I tend to go to my bird vet - best thing is take them to one and get a blood test to see.

#87593 - 11/11/05 07:15 AM Re: weird deaths!
Smoky73 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Colorado
Sorry Jim for your loss. You could get then necropsied I guess. I lost 2 birds the other day. One was sick for about a week, walking problems, the other one was fine one day, when I went to let them out the next morning, she was half dead and died about a hour after that. So, she went from appearing perfectly normal to dead in less than 12 hours. I figure if I lose another one, I will get it necropsied at the State vets office.

#87594 - 11/11/05 10:28 AM Re: weird deaths!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Poisoning of some kind-since it happened just after feeding--is this a possible source-- spoiled feed? That would have been a slower reaction--from earlier in the day. (treated seed grains used to be a source of poisoning of birds.) Some poisons are very quick to kill, such as antifreeze, which is very attractive to animals. There must be some source of poison that they all obtained at about the same time.-- It is very distressful and I hope you can locate the source ASAP. So sorry, CJR

#87595 - 11/11/05 01:49 PM Re: weird deaths!
Jim Offline
Chicken

Loc: Oklahoma
real weird the way it happened, third bird is doing fine today.

feed was a 2 day old bag, never have a bag over 3 days. feed 60 birds out of the same feed with no ill effects to the rest, or the other bird in the same pen.

all my birds but 10 are off the ground, nothing strange in the pen.

mabey it was just their time to go since none of the others are sick.

thanks for the help and sympathy.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2