Topic Options
#87596 - 08/07/06 05:38 AM Help with sick chicken, Please!
Starbucks Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: New Hampshire
We have an americana chicken who is almost a year old. Sat. we found her stuck under on of our sheds (don't know how the heck she got under there???) When we got her out she ran off but then started to kinda walk funny. Kinda like butt heavy and then she just dropped down into a sqaut position. She would rest awhile then up for a couple more steps (anywhere between 3-10 steps at a time). We have kept her seperate from other chickens, she is eating, drinking, laying eggs. She was panting abit yesterday and it was not really that hot. It was quite hot early in the week. Her comb was pale on Sat, but now looks red. She is acting fine, other than she cannot walk normally. Does anyone have any experience with poisonings, Could this be one. Don't know what might have been left under that shed. Could anti freeze dripped down through and got into the dirt. We did have decon in there maybe 5 years ago. What if some of it had gotten under the floor. I don't know... Any disease have these symptoms. This is very weird. Your help would be appreciated!

#87597 - 08/07/06 09:26 AM Re: Help with sick chicken, Please!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If antifreeze, she would be dead in just a few minutes. If she was looking for a place to lay an egg, she may have a back injury or ? Even Decon would have an affect very soon. As long as she is eating, and LAYING, if she were mine, I would still keep her separate and hope she might recover from possible injury. Otherwise-???? CJR

#87598 - 08/07/06 10:11 AM Re: Help with sick chicken, Please!
Starbucks Offline
Coop Cleaner

Thank you that is what we thought about the poison. We will do that and hope that she recovers. I have felt her legs over and her back she doesn't seem to respond like she was in pain or anything. We will keep our fingers crossed for her!

#87599 - 08/07/06 10:43 AM Re: Help with sick chicken, Please!
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Could she have been overcome by heat while she was trapped? Do you know how long she was trapped there?

#87600 - 08/07/06 10:58 AM Re: Help with sick chicken, Please!
Starbucks Offline
Coop Cleaner

We thought of that to. It had been very hot early in the week. Sat. is wasn't that bad, actually quite cool in the AM. She couldn't have been under that shed THAT long. I let her out around 7-8 and we found her around noon. Is that too long?

#87601 - 08/07/06 11:19 AM Re: Help with sick chicken, Please!
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

It's just hard to say. How is she acting now? I once had a dog chase some of my chickens and about an hour after the event, I found one had hidden under and behind some junk in the carport. She was overcome by the heat and was very unstable trying to walk. I cooled her off by soaking her in some cool water and let her rest for the day in a cage in my mud room and she started acting normally maybe a few hours later. I guess it was half heat and half shock from the dog experience. So from your description I wondered if heat could have been a factor. I think heat tolerance will vary some by breed or just basic general health differences.

Does she seem any better yet? Birds are weird in that they get shocky so easily. On one hand, they can hide an illness until they're knocking on death's door, and on the other hand, an upset like a dog chasing them seems to have the potential to take some of them downhill in a hurry.

#87602 - 08/07/06 11:34 AM Re: Help with sick chicken, Please!
Starbucks Offline
Coop Cleaner

We had the same thing happen before with a dog. Different chicken though. She was very shaken and couldn't walk for about 1 day. Then she was fine. This has been going on longer than that with little improvement.

#87603 - 08/07/06 01:06 PM Re: Help with sick chicken, Please!
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

I have the same issue with a hen that is a little older. Nothing extreme seemed to have happened to her. She walks like she's a guinea. Her rear is almost always touching the ground and she sort of walks pointed towards the ground. Anyway, she has been this way since her last molt. We separated her, no improvement, we put her with some other cripples, no improvement. We gave up and put her back with the other chickens, still no improvement. We've left her like that. She eats, sleeps, drinks, poos, and hasn't laid in awhile now. I suppose it's because she's getting on in years, but she doesn't seem in discomfort from it. I would separate her and see if anything better happens to her. We've decided to let nature take it's course with her. She's not swollen anywhere and her comb and wattles are bright red like all of the other hens.

Is it possible that she your hen just strained a muscle getting under there?

Mikaela

#87604 - 08/08/06 06:02 AM Re: Help with sick chicken, Please!
Starbucks Offline
Coop Cleaner

Ours is walking the same way, butt pointing to the ground, kinda stiff legged and only for a few steps at a time. We have been keeping her seperate only cause some of the other chickens that are a bit low in the pecking order seem to like to pick on her cause she is not 100%. Boy that makes me mad to see that! Sometimes chickens can be mean! She seems maybe a pinch better-no worse. The only thing that does bother me is she does seem to pant an AWFUL lot. We will hope for the best.

#87605 - 08/11/06 09:37 AM Re: Help with sick chicken, Please!
Starbucks Offline
Coop Cleaner

I have GREAT news, Goldie seems to be all better.She is walking without squating. Yeah!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2