Topic Options
#87617 - 10/08/09 05:53 PM Possible Avian Malaria or Something Else-Anything I can do?
Art Ana Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Montana
I have a Dorking pullet (5 months), been with me for going on a month. She was called "timid" by the person I purchased her from. She was kept with bantam pullets, had one wing clipped and frankly was a bit uncoordinated IMO above and beyond what a clipped wing seems to do. She had been kept in a low sided pen which was why she was clipped- as explained to me. At noon she was the only "no show" for a chicken treat, I was putting out. I found her in the tall grass, looking like she was sleeping. She was mildly interested in food but easily distracted when another chicken would show up to compete for it. This is all very typical of her except for the total non show for food- she is near the bottom of the pecking order. She went into the "stall" and seemed to be falling asleep, had a hard time keeping her head up, closing her eyes. This evening she is in a nest (also typical- I figured it was the clipped wing and something less then normal balance that kept her off the roost). She seems to be lethargic, she doesn't seem to be holding her head/neck area up and is not extremely alert. No idea if she will make it through the night. My chicken friend believes it is Avian Malaria that she likely has had over a long period of time but is now peaking.

Any ideas, possibilities similar to this or prognosis/treatment?

Everything but the anorexia (up to this point she has eaten so is a hefty pullet) fits her sypmptoms- uncoordinated, falling asleep, loss of appetite (new).

Thanks for anything.

#87618 - 10/08/09 06:31 PM Re: Possible Avian Malaria or Something Else-Anything I can do?
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Have zero experience with malaria. BUt closed eyes, which we assume is sleep, is often a sign of pain. THere are sick chickens, ruffled, hunched, standing away from everyone, looking utterly miserable, but their eyes are open. So the description of a bird slowly falling asleep, head curling back, makes me think pain or some sort of neurological damage. But it doesn't sound good. Let us know what happens.

#87619 - 10/08/09 07:48 PM Re: Possible Avian Malaria or Something Else-Anything I can do?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Neck down is a signal for Botulism poisoning and needs immediate treatment with Crop Flush--best with Epsom Salts solution. Often it dilutes the poison in the system with several flushes a day, several days until recovered, otherwise most birds succumb after several days at most. It is worth a try. Most symptoms would appear in more than one bird in your flock--iof it was malaria (not known in this area)or Marek's Disease, but Botulism can be just one bird that ingest enough bacteria in polluted water or wet spoiled material around the waterer--or after a rainy spell (we haven't has much of that), but under the waterers there can be decaying matter that can hold the bolulism bacteria. Treatment is important--not to wait--but she has the classic symptoms! Good luck, CJR

#87620 - 10/11/09 08:05 AM Re: Possible Avian Malaria or Something Else-Anything I can do?
Art Ana Offline
Coop Cleaner

Well I waited a couple of days to see if she would stick around...
So far so good.

My ranch friend came and dosed her with 2 huge syringes of Sulfa. I thought she would drown from that much liquid. She was up and about yesterday morning and by noon I dribbled in a bit more Sulfa solution. By the afternoon I couldn't hold her down enough to get any in her- she was that strong (and I a bit of a vet wimp).

So- what it was, I don't know. I will watch for wet matter around. With the recent snow, there is plenty of wet matter around. After a bear break in to my chicken yard I have stopped spreading feed on the ground outside and now have it mainly in the feedbuckets with some spread in my covered outdoors area which is pretty dry, if not completely dry.

Thank you Uno And CJR for your expertise and help.

#87621 - 10/15/09 04:34 AM Re: Possible Avian Malaria or Something Else-Anything I can do?
Richard in MA Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
FWIW, clipping a wing on a bird will not make them have balance problems. It will affect their flight pattern but have no effect on how they walk or behave otherwise. Glad to hear yours is doing better.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2