Topic Options
#87622 - 02/06/07 11:51 AM Broken beak
Topsy T Offline
Chick

Loc: Egypt
About an hour ago, I heard a terrible commotion from the coop. My beautiful hens were being attacked by a hawk. I have a coop, an open area that is covered on all sides including overhead, and a much larger area which is fenced but open to the sky. My hens were bathing in the open area when they were attacked. They flew in all directions into the fencing. I have one paralysed hen (Mrs Peckish)with a cut eye-she is now in chicken hospital, and another hen (Mrs Hippi)with a broken, bleeding beak who is in pain. Any suggestions? It is her upper beak that appears to have almost lost its front pointy bit. This is breaking my heart. Thanks

#87623 - 02/06/07 01:42 PM Re: Broken beak
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Got any crazy glue? You can use as little as possible of the glue to put it back in place and it will usually heal. Sometimes it grows new horn underneath and sloughs off the injured part, but the glue holds it all till that happens so she can still eat.

#87624 - 02/06/07 01:49 PM Re: Broken beak
Topsy T Offline
Chick

Loc: Egypt
Thanks for the suggestion although I do not have the missing beak. The good news is my other hen is comming round and beginning to move. She is in the laundry room in a dog crate. I have given her water with a little added Rescue Remedy and I am going to tempt her with tasty treats when she is a little more active. Her eye appears uninjured thankfully and I just want to cuddle the poor old hen. As for Mrs Hippi, I have cleaned off all the blood-is there anything I can give her for the pain? Is there anything else I should be doing? I really appreciate your help. Thank you so much!

#87625 - 02/06/07 04:42 PM Re: Broken beak
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
You could put a tiny dab of honey on it, at least it will feel better. I use honey on a dirty cut myself, and it feels better in a minute or two...lasts quite a while too. It will grow back as long as the bone and red part underneath is still there...won't take all that long...just hard for her to eat right now.

#87626 - 02/07/07 09:31 AM Re: Broken beak
Rack Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Virginia
If missing alot of beak someone told me they use surf board repair/the hard stuff for birds beaks.
I was at a wildlife vet who repaired turtle shells and birds beaks with it.

Don't know if this would be right for you.

#87627 - 02/07/07 09:58 AM Re: Broken beak
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello,

Quote:
is there anything I can give her for the pain?
Yep, itīs called "Traumeel". I donīt know if you have this where you live, though. We use it since a few years as a perfect painkiller for all our animals, be it cats, dogs or birds. This stuff really works great! Here in Austria there are tabs, ointment and drops availiable(sp?).

Hope it helps,

Joachim

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2 
Who's Online
1 registered (John), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box