Topic Options
#87635 - 07/01/07 01:41 PM chick lost a leg
Heather F. Offline
New Egg

Loc: California
One of my 8 week old chicks got attacked by a raccoon last night. It seems like he was able to pull her leg underneath the coop and literally bit it off. Terrible and gross, I know. She seems alert but isn't moving very much, obviously. THe wound is no longer bleeding. What should I do? Isolate her with food and water to see if she recovers? Cull her? Like I said, she doesn't seem to be in obvious, agonizing pain. What kind of quality of life can she have?

#87636 - 07/01/07 04:01 PM Re: chick lost a leg
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
She may learn to hop about, instead of walking, but think of the other things she will have difficulty with, like scratching and dust bathing, roosting and running to safety if preditors are about. How will the other hens relate to her? I'd certainly isolate her if you plan to keep her. Will she manage if you make her a pet? In the end the choice is yours as to what you should do.

#87637 - 07/02/07 07:28 PM Re: chick lost a leg
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
I had the same thing happen about 4 years ago. The chick hopped around on one leg and seemed to do ok. But as it grew more and got larger I don't think it could support the weight and was having a harder and harder time getting around. We finally decided it would be kinder to put her down.

Karen

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2