Topic Options
#87655 - 04/06/05 07:59 PM dead month old chick
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got home from work and checked the chicks, found the biggest Ameracauna dead under the light. Hubby was supposed to turn it off this morning and thought I'd already done it. No marks, blood,nothing broken...looked in it's throat and no blockage. Watched the rest of the group and did not observe any odd behavior like head shaking or excessive yawning. They have lots of fresh water and food. Any ideas or is this just "one of those things" ? Thanks for any suggestions on what to look for.

#87656 - 04/07/05 08:00 AM Re: dead month old chick
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Not very much information--how many chicks, how large a brooder area--how high was the light, wattage--and what temperature, what bedding are you using, what feed, quality of poop????????And even then, might not have the answer, but it might help. CJR

#87657 - 04/07/05 01:24 PM Re: dead month old chick
Anonymous
Unregistered

CJR,
There were 27 chicks in a 10'x10' enclosed hen house, no drafts, no critters got in, light was a 100 watt red flood light in a reflector collar 20" from the floor. Using bermuda hay on top of granite dirt for bedding. Temp at floor is about 70 degrees, feed is Arizona Mills chick starter mash. Poop all around looked normal ie no blood, no foamy stuff, no diahrea(sp) and usual color. Only thing different than the day before was a little swiss chard from my garden for them to try out. Thanks in advance!
Bunny

#87658 - 04/08/05 06:33 PM Re: dead month old chick
Anonymous
Unregistered

Believe it or not, chickens can fall dead for no apparent reason. There is a reason of course, but you would need an autopsy to find that reason sometimes.

#87659 - 04/08/05 11:38 PM Re: dead month old chick
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Just cannot answer sometimes. Nothing you mentioned should have made a difference--that chick had some problem that just didn't show, or an accident that cannot be explained at all. It is too bad to lose any chicks and I hope all remains well with the rest of them.! CJR

#87660 - 04/09/05 02:14 PM Re: dead month old chick
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Mag and CJR--kind of what I figured. All the others are doing fine, enjoying their new running space and chasing flies. They are too funny sometimes! LOL I've assumed that the more chickens I have, the more odd things I'll come across.
Bunny

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2