Topic Options
#87671 - 01/20/08 01:34 PM mild frostbite, pecked to near death
Sweetpea Offline
Feather

Loc: Utah
We discovered last night that the combs of both of our Rhode Island Reds have suffered mild frostbite and one chicken is worse off than the other. She was breathing to deeply last night so we put them both in the other coop with our two Easter Eggers in hopes that she might be warmer since she could be closer to the heat source. We had to separate our Easter Eggers out a few months back as they were getting hen pecked to much. Well now they returned the favor last night and we discovered that our one Rhode Island, who was breathing to heavy last night and looking sick, is now holding onto dear life as she is bleeding all over her comb and around her neck where they've pecked her. I guess it is with in nature to peck at the weak ones in the flock, aka "survival of the fittest". We have now put all the chickens, except our one sick Rhode Island, back together in the other pen (they are right next door and the chickens can see each other) till she is either well or dies. I'm hoping that my Easter Eggers won't get pecked to near death again as they have been healthy and laying eggs since being separated. What else can I do? What is the best salve for a bleeding chicken? I am just planning to put on regular anti-biotic ointment on her for now. It is so cold this winter, we haven't had our normal January thaw and it's the coldest winter in fifteen years. We have been below freezing for days and the lights are just not keeping the girls warm enough I'm afraid. Help!

#87672 - 01/20/08 02:08 PM Re: mild frostbite, pecked to near death
Sweetpea Offline
Feather

Also, if hour Rhode Island Red pullet doesn't make it, will she be safe to eat?

#87673 - 01/21/08 03:14 AM Re: mild frostbite, pecked to near death
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
No, you better not eat her. People do eat dead chickens, but the person who plucks and butchers will be exposed to whatever she died from...better not. can you hang a heat lamp for the one who is ill?

#87674 - 01/22/08 01:09 PM Re: mild frostbite, pecked to near death
Sweetpea Offline
Feather

Thank you Jocelyn. We had to bring our sick pullet indoors as our Easter Eggers started pecking on her when we put her with them to keep warmer. However, she's not going to make it. She's breathing deeply and can hardly get up. If it wasn't for the fact that she is my little boy's chicken and he's devastated, I would just cull her, but we will let her die peacefully unless she miraculously comes out of this. Her color is more purple in her face so she is not getting the oxygen she needs and unless a miracle happens she will likely not be with us by tomorrow morning.
Our chickens have been more like pets to us and this winter has been very hard. My mom said, growing up on the farm as she did, they just culled the chickens in the fall and ordered a new batch every spring so they wouldn't have to deal with them over winter. That's a lot of months with out eggs, but lots of chicken dinners.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2